Skip to content

TimG

Super Moderators
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Country

    United Kingdom

Posts posted by TimG

  1. Super pics!

    I used to manage a dive operation in the Lembeh Straits many years ago. When guests first arrived we’d “warn” them about first impressions: dark, seemingly empty and colourless….. but just to be patient….. I don’t think a single guest ever came away disappointed. Most were captivated and fascinated by the weird and wonderful critters they’d see.

    So, yep, totally agree with you both.

  2. 2 hours ago, Mike Saunders said:

    thanks

    quite the story but rather depressing for those involved

    The new site is excellent though.

    We aim to please, Mike. Really glad you like it. The response over the months Waterpixels has been operating (just over 2 years now), has been terrific.

  3. I didn't know the Grouper was no longer available from CineBags. But, yeah, the Kraken seems pretty much the same thing. Filling a soft rinse tank with clothes sounds a good idea.

    I don't know AO coolers. The only thing I think to watch out for is the quality of the zips. They need to resist salt and not jam with salt build-up. And not leak of course! The CineBag was good for that although the internal pocket zips need work to prevent them jamming.

  4. Hmmmm... I'm always super wary of rinse tanks.

    Dave is dead right of course - they are for rinsing not leaving gear unattended.

    That said, I would not mind a 1p for every time I've seen masks/computers/GoPros lobbed into the Cameras Only rinse tank; big systems dumped in without a second thought, cables tangled blah blah.... And the good few times I've been distracted whillst rinsing my camera system and had to leave it for a few minutes to come back and find gear dumped on top of it.

    I now travel with some of my camera gear packed in a CineBags Grouper bag. One we get to the liveaboard, I unpack it and it's then my own personal rinse tank. I can usually find some discrete corner where it sits out of the way and holds my camera - wet or dry.

    "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter the Dreaded Rinse Tank". I think Danté said that.

  5. 3 hours ago, Walt Stearns said:

    That is very true TimG, provided you have the right credit score and willingness/funds to handle the membership fees. Most of my CC are made of metal, aluminum mostly, but not titanium. My income is not high enough to afford one yet.

    Metal credit cards? I'm impressed, Walt! I'm still on plastic......

  6. He was a legend in Lembeh - probably not just Lembeh! - for how much gear he had. I was told he'd have 3/4 complete setups underwater and whatever he needed was shuttled to him by dive guides. Must have been nice! Beats having to finger out how to setup for a particular dive.....

  7. 2 hours ago, bghazzal said:

    On a related note, this post showed up on my social media feed today:

    "Has anyone else had problems bringing camera gear into Bali? I’ve done it dozens of times but last night they pulled me aside jn customs and told me I was only allowed one personal camera below $500! They eventually let me go, but I’m still unclear on the rules, on what was going on, or what to do next time."

    Let's hope this is a one-off attempt by a greedy agent and doesn't become a pattern in Indonesia as well...

    Like you, Beni, I’ve flown into Indo many times including Bali. Never had the slightest issue. Let’s hope, as you say, it was a one-off.

  8. 3 hours ago, CaolIla said:

    Like Singapore Air

    the "best" compagny is Air France 12 KG in economy.


    but you have other problem, you are never sure that they will not strike

    Love that patriotic loyalty to Air France! I use them a lot and love their chic style. I’ve found both AF and sister company KLM good on baggage allowance and cabin loading.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.