The NYT article was not a suprise for most of us, I'm pretty sure. Printing 4x6 at home is a convenience for which you pay extra. For snapshots, I've taken to using online services that can process locally in one hour. Pretty good results. I'm very happy also with the larger prints, 11x14 and up, that I've received from shutterfly.com.
Here's something to look out for with online services: Most have an automatic enhancement feature that is applied to every photo by default. At shutterfly, it's called VividPix. Other services have different names. This enhancement usually involves auto levels, contrast, color. If you have edited your photo already, in PhotoShop or other programs, and your monitor is properly calibrated, you don't need or want this automatic enhancement. Turn it off. You may have to root around in the controls of the online service to find the control, but it will be worth your trouble. shutterfly specifically advises that VividPix be turned off if you have already tuned your photo in an image editing program and have a calibrated monitor. With this enhancement off, my prints very closely match my final edit onscreen.
Also, many of the services offer satisfaction guarantees and will reprint photos at no cost if you are not satisfied with the originall result.