Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

JVC HDD camcorder

Started by Rob Esaw ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

JVC HDD camcorder

2 posts
  1. So I understand that 18 minutes on a mini-DVD is not a good idea for underwater. I see that JVC has started to market 30GB internal hard drive cameras. http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-deta...?model=GZ-MG50U

    Does anyone know anything about the quality of these cameras? Would a camera like this make a good choice for UW?

  2. Does anyone know anything about the quality of these cameras? Would a camera like this make a good choice for UW?

     

    Not having physically seen one yet, my first reaction would be it's not. It uses the same MPEG2 compression method as Mini-DVD camcorders to squeeze more data onto the hard drive so the quality probably suffers in comparison to MiniDV.

     

    What I do like better about this one is that it probably writes to the hard drive much faster, with a MiniDVD, the session has to close and the data be written to the DVD before it can be viewed/edited later. Just like when you burn a DVD on your PC. I've read of cases where an unexpected power loss caused everything to be lost.

     

    my .02

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.