Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Some tips on getting more from your compact

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Some tips on getting more from your compact

5 posts
  1. Peter Rowlands, Editor of UWP Magazine, recently wrote an article for DIVE magazine in the UK with some simple by effective tips for improving your underwater images taken with a compact.

     

    The article is now available on-line at:

    http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article...AN=2425&v=1&sp=

     

    Look carefully and you can see me modelling in one of the panorama shots. Twice in one frame in fact - now that is what I call super modelling skills!

     

    Alex

  2. That is a great article! thanks for sharing.

     

    got to love the time zones. you are starting your day and I am ending mine!

  3. step 3 is repeated three times ... if i didn't know better i would say that is a subtle hint.

     

    While all those hints I wouls agree are brilliant techniques for improving your shots it's a shame that 3 of them involve purchases.

     

    However The Essential Rules are excellent advice for beginners and the Top Compact Tips are both the best bits of the article in my mind and will improve anyones photos if they are headed to on every photodive.

     

    Its a shame the examples are so small too .. would be nice if we would be able to see more of what Peter is talking about and also actually know that is you Alex ... (he he .. although I have already seen it)

  4. At the moment Magic Filters is not doing anything officially for compacts - and I have almost always suggested trying UR Pro filters to any compact user who has contacted me about filters. So it may be a subtle hint, but it is not for us.

     

    I take your point about purchases. But then suggesting an external strobe, a filter and an accessory wide angle or close-up lens does make a big difference to a compact. And no doubt pleases all the advertisers in the Magazine!

     

    I guess DIVE magazine would say buy the magazine if you want to see the pictures larger - or indeed wait until your friends are visiting the island and look at their copies!

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  5. The step repeated three times was not Filters ... it was Buy an External Strobe.

     

    And while all 5 suggestions I agree vastly improve your photos. The Essential Rules would be what I owuld expect to see before suggesting buying etc equipment.

     

    For example .. there is no point buying an external strobe unless you have learnt to get as close as possible i.e. less than 5ft away from your subject when using a strobebe it internal or external. (often less than 3ft for internal)

    Similar arguements could be said before buying close up or wide angle lenses ... get used to getting good shots before you buy these things .. then you get to relearn it all over again when you do buy them. But you have a nice starting point to learn from.

     

    I wasn't hinting anything about filters ... infact adding a UR pro filters will help any compact shooter break most of the rules and still get a great photo.

     

    Anyways .. It is a good read even for people like me who think they know what they are doing as it can always help to be reminded of a few old adages as Peter says.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.