Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Lens choice for snorkling/tubing?

Started by candide ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens choice for snorkling/tubing?

4 posts
  1. I am buying the Canon digital rebel XT, and right now plan to get a sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 and the canon 50mm f1.8. Getting it for a west caribbean cruise.

     

    I am new to SLR's, and starting with the above (tho I am tempted to get the 100mm Macro as well). My question is, which would be good to use while snorkling? I won't be diving much at all with a broke foot, just floating on the top mostly. So I won't be able to get terribly close to most subjects.

     

    Which of the two lenses would be best (or the macro).

     

    Yes, I am looking at the EWA "zip lock baggy", but again it is just for 2-4 feet down, and we are looking at doing a tubing through caves thing, where I don't trust myself not to drop/splash the camera. At this point, especially with the bum foot, there is just no way I am paying another 1-2k for a housing. Our next Hawaii trip, sure maybe then, but for now I need something to snorkle with.

     

    Thanks!

  2. A lens at the 18mm end would be good for that kind of shooting. Just make sure you have one that will fit inside the baggy.

     

    I would also HIGHLY recommend a magic filter for these kinds of photos.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. "I would also HIGHLY recommend a magic filter for these kinds of photos."

     

    You lost me there? Can you point me someplace where I can learn more about a magic filter? Is the pixie dust free or an added charge? ;)

     

    Thanks for the super fast response!

  4. Here's the website: http://www.magic-filters.com/ It's a filter for use with available light shallow-water photography.

     

    Cheers

    James

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.