Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

xd picture cards

Started by scubachef ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

xd picture cards

7 posts
  1. Hi Again,

    After much research both here and with our local dive shop, I've ddecided to go with the Fuji f810 and Ikelite housing and strobe. My poking around led me to realize I would need an extra battery, as they seem to run down quickly but the other advantages of the camera mad it worth while. So then the memory question comes up. The online retailer called to confirm the order and convinced me to purchase an extra memory card, which makes sense. Their site lists them as "error free," and they go for about $149.00 for the 128 mb. Going back on line to check up on this, I find several places to get 128mb cards for anywhere from about $75 down to about $28!!! These are not the "error free" versions, however. Have I been swindled? :( Or, is there a significant risk of data corruption or photo loss with a standard xd card? :)

    Thanks for your time,

    Steve

  2. I would cancel the XD card order and get the memory card somewhere else. If you buy a name brand card it will be as error free as any other.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Thanks James, I had a feeling that was the case. They claimed I might encounter corruption or "try again" messages on 5 pictures out of 100 with a regular card. I'll try to send it back, I think the order is already shipped.

    Steve

  4. 128mb cards should sell for like $25. They are way too small for UW use.

     

    There are only 3 manufacturers of xD cards; Oly, Fuji and San Disk. They are identical.

     

    Send it back and buy a 512 or 1GB card. I've seen teh 1GB cards at fry's recently for $60 and the 512MB for $50. The price you paid is a rip-off. Cancel the order.

     

    Where did you find the camera? They are discontinued and hard to find, make sure they are in stock.

     

    Accessories like batteries, cards etc are available on EBay at resonable prices, compare the deals with shipping carefully. BTW, 900mHa batteries are the largest we've found, beware of the seller who was selling "1500mHa" batteries, they are frauds. You should buy at least a couple of extras.

     

    Jack

    Edited by JackConnick
  5. Thanks again, this site is proving more and more helpful (and I still have yet to snap a photo underwater!). We'll be in the Philippines over Thanksgiving, I'll hopefully have something worthwhile to post when we get back.

     

    We found the f810 at Broadway photo, base price was $329.00. They claim to be shipping it this morning. They seem to be trying to make their money on the overpriced accessories, though...

     

    I'll also be checking up on the battery they've sold me.

    I appreciate everyone's input,

    Steve

  6. Aha! Check Broadway Photos' rating at www.resellerratings.com - it's one of the lowest. Make sure to get a tracking number for your shipment.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. Camera came, housing fits great, now we are getting ready to leave and start on our new photo adventure. After I tried to send back the overpriced extras, they immediately offered a $75.00 credit and a 3 yr warranty for free, so they must have known they were trying to rip us off. Very excited to get started, I'll send anything worthwhile once we return. Thanks again for the assistance, much appreciated.

    Steve

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.