Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Strange worm from Cozumel

Started by underh2o ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Strange worm from Cozumel

3 posts
  1. Found this worm in Cozumel. It was about 1 inch in diameter and the portion not buried in the sand was about 10 inches long. As I approached it slowly rectracted back into the sand. I couldn't find it in my books. If I knew it was an oddball I would have taken other shots. What is it?

    post-2709-1130468694_thumb.jpg

  2. HI David,

     

    I'm no worm expert, but it looks like a "peanut" worm to me aka Sipunculid

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. James is right as usual. It's in the phylum Sipuncula. Looking at the texture of the skin you can see why it's called a peanut worm. I don't know of any picture guide for the Caribbean and it's not my group so I can't be of much help, sorry. Hopefully another WP member knows more & can help out with a name.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.