Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Format before saving.

Started by huguito ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Format before saving.

4 posts
  1. You take your pretty RAW picture and opened in ACR. Play with it and make it better, you then open this shot in Photoshop and make it even more beautiful.

    Then what?

    TIFF? JPEG? PSD?

    And more important. Why?

     

    I start working with layers and been told if my shots are saved in TIFF the layers would not be available individually in the future if I want to do different edits.

    True? Not? Semi-true?

     

    File size is not a concern, I have plenty of storage and I'm very picky regarding what shots I keep. But the ones I keep, I really want to keep!

     

    Thanks

     

    Hugo

  2. I normally keep a layered PSD, but I know that TIF has an option that supports layering. I've never used it because PSD works just fine, and I have to output a flat TIF or JPG for delivery to printers/magazines, anyway.

     

    I also keep a flat TIF file around in AdobeRGB for normal printing work, etc. Ideally, I would convert from RAW directly to my target printer's color space, but I usually already have a processed AdobeRGB version laying around that I tweak into the printer's color space, afterward...

    Edited by echeng
  3. Eric is right on.

     

    Absolutely a non-compressed TIFF. If you've been working the image and want to save your layers, than save a layered PSD version as a backup. Never save as a JPG as it is a compression format and will loose quality every time you save and reopen. The loss of

    quality WILL become apparent after you've done this a few times. You can, however, save as a JPG onto a CD when shipping out to publisher or printer as you will not write over the saved

    file on the CD.

     

    Tom Stack

    http://www.tomstackphoto.com

  4. I save the layered file as a PSD. I then perform an action that flattens the file, resizes for web and adds copyright stamp, which I then save for web (jpeg).

     

    If I need to print, I retrieve the PSD, do whatever, e.g. resize and sharpen for final output size. This version is saved as a flattened TIFF.

     

    So far this method has not caused me misery as compared to some previous workflow trial and errors.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.