Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

FX1 underwater clips

Started by wagsy ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

FX1 underwater clips

11 posts
  1. Hello Mike, Drew and all..

     

    If you are interested, I have loaded up some more BIG RES underwater FX1 clips on my site.

     

    Go here and scroll down abit.

    www.ningalooreefteach.com/FX1.htm

     

    There is also a link to an example of a screen grab taken from two identical video clips playing side by side in real time. One was interlaced and the other progressive. On the same page you will find more screen grabs from two MPEG2 (DVD) video clips. It compares HDV to DV to DVD and the other HDV to DVD.

     

    Enjoy

     

    Wags

     

    PS: It was all edited on a PC...one I can install most new version software without having to buy a new operating sytem to make the new updated software work.

  2. Hi Wags,

     

    Fantastic !! It looks cool and i will definately be after the dvd..

     

    This is a boost to me for my debate over purchasing the A1E next year..

     

    Thanks again for the pics

     

    dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. Ah Point Murat Pier, my favorite dive in Exmouth and definitely top 10 in Oz.

    Nice stuff Paul, so I gather you like the progressive look? How much more post are you having to deinterlace HDV? or are you doing it to the DV stream after downconversion?

  4. Yes the Pier is a cool place to dive, classic example of what a sanctuary can do.

     

    Drew, we have made the masters (PAL & NTSC) and they are ready for the replicators however still playing around with this interlaced / progressive thing.

     

    Encoded the full 70 mins out again as progressive and then played them side by side in real time on identical LCD screens, swapping the screens as we went.

     

    Some shots the progressive looks better and some the interlaced was?? (Colour wise) Not to sure why but maybe had the encoder setting abit different. On the computer the progressive was better showing no interlacing and on the normal TV's they both looked the same. We have found encoding MPEG2 (DVD) straight from the HDV timeline is better than downconverting to DV then to DVD. The less you encode the better and the best encoder is Procoder, better than CCE, TMPGEnc, and Mainconcept.

     

    For uptop stuff one may not pick the difference as much, but encoding underwater material really tests the encoders.

     

    Will play around with it some more.

     

    Wags

  5. If you want a pure deinterlacer, try Magic Bullet. I've used it regularly and it is by far the best deinterlacer around. Bitvice deinterlacer is also excellent.

    Yes encoding is lossy from format to format unless you are encoding uncompressed. I really can't wait for the dema Pana HDV200 to be out... a poor man's 4:4:4 720P. My system has been waiting for the cameras to get to the point where DVC Pro HD is cheap enough... now with the HDV200 it'll be decently priced... although I shudder at the costs of the P2 memory. Still 720P at 60P... think of the slo-mo!

  6. Drew, before I try magic bullet, I was wondering if you could download a 28 meg zip file? Open it up and place all the vobs etc into a VIDEO_TS folder, make a AUDIO_TS folder and burn them to a NTSC DVD.

     

    The files are of two demo clips that I have encoded from a HDV PAL timeline straight to a NTSC MPEG 2 DVD file. One is encoded as upper fields and the other is progressive.

     

    Once you burn the disk, a NTSC 16.9 menu should appear with links to the two files.

     

    Would give me an idea of what you recond of the quality and also if the NTSC files are correct to play in a true NTSC DVD player and TV.

     

    If not Drew, them maybe Mike or someone else from the land of NTSC.

     

    Here is the link:

     

    www.ningalooreefteach.com/Ntsctest.zip

     

    Do you know who s making a housing for the HDV200?

     

    Hope you can help.

     

    Wags

  7. So Wagsy, simple question. Are you just leaving everything in 16:9 or compressing to 4:3....

     

    Silly question, guess i should just go look at the link eh? ah well its 10pm and i have Bud in me.... B)

  8. Sorry Mike

     

    You must of posted as I did.

     

    Read my previous post, maybe you can help me try the test.

     

    Everything is left in 16.9

     

    wags

  9. Yep, we posted at the same time. Hmmm, would love to try the test but....seeing as where i am at, a 28mp file will take approx 6 hours to download.... not good.

     

    I think Drew is in the land of fast internet but who knows for sure he is a vagabond...

     

    But i want to know as well.

    M

  10. Paul

    you caught me at a bad time for such requests. I just dismantled my computer to ready for the new one. So the old one is off to a high school in LA. I have no fast computer to do this on until I get to thailand (then I don't know if I have any content to crunch). You could try the demo magic bullet. It'll have a watermark but you can see the difference immediately.

  11. O well ya get that.

     

    Maybe someone else could try it, I head over to another forum.

     

    I'll also give magic bullet a go.

     

    I re encoded last night and think I will settle for progressive. Now the progressive footage NTSC is like PAL interlaced when playing side by side. The PAL progressive is better than both. I had to tweek the encoder to get my results and playback on the LCD screen is stunning.

     

    Will compare Magic bullet to what I have done, but I love the fact I can just encode straight from the timeline to a MPEG 2 DVD file, boith PAL and NTSC.

     

    More soon.

     

    Wags

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.