Hello Wetpixel,
I was just channel surfing and caught a few minutes of ESPN's infamous "Monster Shark Fishing Tournament," which takes place during the summer and is now periodically televised here in the States. Apparently this event occurs every year, and ESPN has decided to get behind it in order to boost ratings.
To say it's offensive, dated and grotesque is a huge understatement - and I'm not a tree hugger. When I first saw it, I thought it was taped in the 1970s. Anyway, I immediately googled the event and learned the Human Society has a petition going around that attempts to convince the tv channel to abandon its support for this pathetic circus.
ESPN, the tournament's organizers, etc. claim many sharks are released, the dead sharks feed poor old people and scientists get a lot of data from the dead animals, blah, blah, blah. To me, it sounds like a bunch of baloney, a la Disney Shark Fin Soup in HK (same company). This year, they killed a nearly 1,200lbs tiger - an event that made headlines everywhere. They were also hauling 400lbs blues and porbeagles on the dock...now, wouldn't it be nice to see those big fish swimming?
We all know that when you cherry pick the biggest animals, the overall population suffers. The big guys and gals have the best genes, biggest litters, etc.
For what it's worth, I filed my protest and am posting the link here to anyone wishing to participate:
https://community.hsus.org/campaign/ESPN_shark_contest
Best regards,
Michael
www.mpostock.com
www.batfishbooks.com