Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Newbie question for Ikelite/Sigma 10-20mm combo

Started by divecrypt ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Newbie question for Ikelite/Sigma 10-20mm combo

1 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Firstly, great forum - I've scrounged through a lot of pages and am correcting the error of my ways ;)

     

    Basically I'm new to underwater photography even though I have been involved in commercial photography for a good while now and also teach scuba (in between looking after the kids) In the last week I purchased the following items to achieve one of my long term dreams to take underwater photos :

     

    Ikelite iTTL housing for D70s

    Ikelite port 5503.50 (recommended for Sigma lens)

    Ikelite DS-125 strobe and arm package

     

    to work with :

    Nikon D70s

    Sigma 10-20mm AF lens

     

    So far I've been impressed with the quality of the kit and eagerly jumped in the pool the other night to give it a go (test watertightness, buoyancy etc) The pictures underwater though did not appear as I expected in that they were all out of focus. To this end I added a +4 diopter close-up to the lens and the piccies look a lot sharper now, but this opened a new thought stream that I hope someone could guide me on ?

     

    Firstly, the Ikelite site states that you do not need a diopter correction for this lens (which is why I didn't get one to start with)

     

    Secondly, I'm not sure whether +4 is overkill or whether a +2 would suffice

     

    Thirdly, it would be cool to do those split water shots but I'm not sure as to what effect having the diopter filter attached will have on the piccies in general

     

    and last (for now), I notice that using the iTTL mode on the flash tends to overexpose the subject to the extent that i need to dial in a -1 EV adjustment - anyone else encountered this or have any suggestions (both with diffuser and without) ?

     

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips

    Rgds

    NickT

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.