It seems this could/should replace both JPEG and TIFF files. It's been around for a while now. Does anyone use it?
Read-only discussion
It seems this could/should replace both JPEG and TIFF files. It's been around for a while now. Does anyone use it?
It was my understanding that this has been the standard JPG in Photoshop for a while now. But I am not certain.
Alex
Alex is correct; the JPEG 2000 standard has been around for a number of years. Unfortunately, only Adobe Photoshop & Elements support it. A number of camera manufacturers have announced they will include it in future models. One of the main advantages is that it includes an optional "lossless" compression algorithm.
no jpg2000 is different than photoshops jpg. I have never used JPG2000 but I have heard there are a lot of compatability issues - very few programs support it.
Adobe photoshop does not even support it completely....
Photoshop does not include the JPEG 2000 plug-in by default--you must install it manually.
On my Mac it seems every application supports it. Specifically GraphicConverter, iPhoto, Finder, Preview and Safari support it.
I was thinking about using GraphicConverter to convert from Olympus RAW (not supported by iPhoto) to JPEG 2000 (using lossless compression) and then import that to iPhoto, and do everything else there.
TIFF files are 2 to 3 times as large as JPEG 2000 files.
Here is an article that you may find interesting.
Interesting.
There was a bug related to JPEG200 and iPhoto. It cannot display the EXIF data. The info is still there iPhoto fails to read/show it.
At the moment I think it's safer to stick with plain old jpeg and just not compress it very much.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.