Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Invert Id's for Leslie

Started by acroporas ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Invert Id's for Leslie

8 posts
  1. Ok, Leslie, you said you were board an needed some Invertebrates to ID.

     

    Here you go. Sorry I dont know if I have any worms, but I have plenty of crustacions if you like them.

     

    Crab - I recognise this guy as the guy that lives between the branches of Acropora colonys. But I dont have a genus or species for it..

    Hungry-Hawk.jpg

     

    Will post a few more in a few minutes.

    Edited by acroporas
  2. Ok, Another crab. This little guy is hanging out on a Leather coal at Night.

    Blue-crab.jpg

  3. Now a shrimp at night

    Night-shrimp.jpg

     

    By the way, all of these so far have been from GBR.

    Edited by acroporas
  4. May or may not be the same as above.....

     

    Night-shrimp-2.jpg

  5. Very odd shaped crab. - You had enough yet Leslie. :lol:

     

     

    Strange-crab.jpg

    Edited by acroporas
  6. Small Soft Cucmumber = almost a worm :lol:

    cucumber.jpg

    Edited by acroporas
  7. Ohh, I remembered, I do have a worm!!!

     

    dads-flatworm.jpg

  8. :lol::D

    Oh, thank you! Something to do & nice pictures at that! (Even my cat is helping me stay busy by stepping on the keyboard & erasing my attempts to reply.)

     

    You're right, the first crab is one of the obligate coral crabs in the family Trapeziidae; just from the color markings I'm pretty sure it's Tetralia rubridactyla. the rest are harder to find. Crab #2 is in family Galatheidae, maybe genus Galatheidae. There are dozens of undescribed species in the group. Shrimp #1 is especially nice; I think they may both be in genus Cinetorhynchus but different species because of the different markings on their eyes. Your overgrown crab looks like a majid, maybe Xenocarcinus conicus. Its cousin Xenocarcinus tuberculatus is the even odder one with big projections on the back that lives only on black corals & is a favorite UW subject. The cute cuke looks like Synaptula lamperti and the flattie is Pseudobiceros bedfordi. It may not be the commonest flatworm in the Indo-Pacific but it's certainly one of the most photographed. Did you notice that I said "looks like", "may be", etc? As usual, it's difficult to correctly id critters just from photographs. But it's fun!

    Cheerio, L

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.