Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

ID this Mantis please!

Started by Rocha ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

ID this Mantis please!

3 posts
  1. Here is a series of shots that I am particularly proud of. This mantis started doing his thing (digging his hole), and I was right there to witness and record the moment. Too bad I am terrible with invert IDs! Leslie? :lol: These were taken in Venezuela last month:

     

    mantis1.jpg

     

    mantis2.jpg

     

    mantis3.jpg

     

    mantis4.jpg

     

    Thanks!

     

    P.S.: Leslie, I hope you are feeling better!

  2. Very cool - the best kind of action shots! And extra neat for me because I just learned about this guy last night. It's Lysiosquillina glabriuscula which occurs from South Carolina in the US to Brasil. Good thing you didn't get too close as it's a thumb-splitter. The yellow center spot on each large antennal scale is a good way to recognize it. The back has alternating bands of cream and tan (light) or tan and brown (dark). An incredibly nifty thing about stomatopods is that they fluoresce to signal each other. Human eyes use 3 visual pigments to create color vision. Stomatopods use at least 8 for visual wavelengths & three more for ultraviolet, plus 4 filters to tune the visual pigments & see 2-3 planes of polarized light. You can read more (if you're interested) at http://www.innovations-report.com/html/rep...port-23390.html

     

    Thanks for the good wishes. I've got bronchitis & really hope it clears up before I go off to Costa Rica on the 15th.

  3. Great, thanks!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.