Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Crustacean IDs - Lembeh Strait

Started by mandarinfish ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Crustacean IDs - Lembeh Strait

6 posts
  1. This guy was about 1" or less, and I saw him out on the sand:

    20051009_045.jpg

     

    This crab was smaller, in a crinoid:

    20051015_016.jpg

     

    Small shrimp, perhaps 1/2":

    20051018_09.jpg

  2. Nice crusties - and good eye on catching that shrimp. The first little guy looks like a Lissocarcincus possibly L. laevis. The arms aren't very banded. A top shot would help. The commensal crinoid crab might be either Harrovia elegans, H. albolineata, or Permanotus purpureus. They all look very similar. Incidentally, there's also some confusion as to what H. elegans looks like. The animal labelled H. elegans on the Edge-of-Reef site and in Gosliner, Behrens, & Williams has 2 pronounced horns but judging by other papers & images this is incorrect. Hippolyte commensalis is the name of the beautiful shrimp. Obviously it's always found on this kind of soft coral.

    Edited by Leslie
  3. The soft coral w/ the shrimp on it is Xenia sp. aka "pulsing" xenia. I love this stuff.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Leslie, thank you so much for your help with these and the other IDs and questions! It is so nice to have your knowledge here. When I try to catalog things after my trips, I end up with alot of mysteries. It's great to have folks who are interested in trying to help solve some of them.

     

    I have yet more mysteries (to me) that I'll post later.

     

    Thanks!

  5. Hey, this is fun. I'll be stuck at home for a couple of weeks in December so that will be a good time for posting LOTS of mysteries! But I don't know cnidarians - just send those to James!:lol: Cheers, L

  6. Hi Linda

     

    concur with Leslie on Lissocarcinus laevis and Hippolyte cf. commensalis (need a slightly higher resolution to confirm this one)

     

    the yellow crab is clearly a member of the Eumedoniidae (to which belongs also the famous zebra urchin crab Zebrida adamsii), Harrovia was recently revised, have to pull out the publication, but it looks indeed much like Harrovia japonica in Minemizu et al., 2000 .. again, need a slightly higher resolution (artour_a@yahoo.com)

     

    cheerio

     

    Art

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.