Hi Nick
I like you site, hey I think I have filmed that same Whale Shark over here??
Yes don't expect to get fantastic wild underwater Dugong footage in just a day or two unless you have a pet one.
The A1 will not be as good the Z1 in low light. I set the shutter at 100+ for a clear 14 meter dive without a URPRO filter which puts the exposure on around f9-f11 so going by that the A1 will still be good to use I recond.
The Phenom is a very nice housing but its vignetting is a bummer, but still better when you compare to the lenses that come standard with the other housings. A wider lens is suppose to come out soon.
The 94 degree lens can be zoomed in abit or I just edit it out. Every single screen in the world that has been designed to have a TV signal displayed on it has overscan, they have to. Some though you can turn off for reasons like connecting ones computer to the screen etc.
If you or Mike or Drew have broadband, here are two links to a PAL and NTSC mpeg2 DVD files.
http://www.ningalooreefteach.com/PALpro.m2v
http://www.ningalooreefteach.com/NTSCpro.m2v
I made them from a PAL HDV timeline and will give you an idea of the quality.
They are 14 megs each.
I have also found with HDV you can get abit of motion blur in certain shots, but once you are aware of it, you can shoot around it. I wll load up a demo clip as an example to what I mean.
The quality of the raw HDV is stunning though on a high res screen. Its ashame one has to downconvert to normal DVD specs. It looks like the new DVD players, P3 and the like will all be able to play HD wmv files which will be great. One will be able to get over 60 mins of near on the same quality as raw HDV on a normal DVD. Its also funnny that once you start editing HDV, editing normal DV looks so strange as you are use to seeing this stunning image on the screen.
More soon
Wags