Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

About scanning slides?

Started by caymaniac ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

About scanning slides?

3 posts
  1. When I have scanned slides into photoshop elements, then I print them, there is nowhere near the contrast that the slide shows or the computer screens shows compared to a 8X10 print - is this because of my scanner?

    Also, I have a request to show some of my pictures with a local photographic group, they have a sophisticated system with a huge screen run off from a computer. Should I e-mail the pictures to them? Will I lose resolution in the e-mail or should I burn a CD? What file size works best for a format like this, 600 pixels? Is there a file size that I should be using if I burn a CD like 800x600?

     

    Thank you,

    Jerry

  2. Hi Jerry, about the printing, it is very hard to get anything printed that is very similar to what you see on your screen, unless you calibrate your monitor and printer, and even then there will be differences. For monitor calibration, take a look at this thread:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9675

     

    And here is a link with very complete information about color in digital files:

     

    http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/wdtech.html

     

    For a shorter version, look here:

     

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial..._matching.shtml

     

    For a big screen presentation, I would provide JPEGs that are 1024 pixels wide. The files will be the same, it doesn't matter if you send them by e-mail or on a CD.

     

    I hope this helps,

     

    Luiz

     

    P.S.: I am moving your post to the "Image Processing, Printing, and Storage" area as I think it will get more feedback there.

    Edited by Rocha
  3. I don't have a problem with the the way the monitor and the slide compare, they seem quite close. My system is less than 2 years old. My printer is an Epson R230 which is not the best scanner in the world but the best one that Best Buy had, I use Epson paper also because I've found that it prints the best with this printer. The printer uses 5 individual colors plus black and does an okay job when printing off my wifes digital camera (CannonS2IS). The contrast is so flat out of the printer when printing from scanned slides. In the examples you can probably guess the difference.

    post-1734-1131473393_thumb.jpg

    post-1734-1131473416_thumb.jpg

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.