Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which filter?

Started by miso ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Which filter?

4 posts
  1. Hi all!

    I am new at UW filming.

    I have a Sony D8 camcorder and a Nimar housing with 2 x 50W halogen lamps.

    I am interested in UR Pro filter. I heard and read they correct some colours underwater.

    I saw their web page and I really don't know which one to get :blink:.

    Can anyone give me some advice?

    Thank you!

     

    miso

  2. The CY filter is for blue water diving. They also have a green water filter.

    I would avoid the VLF filter since mine are identical to the CY

    filters according to my color meter. If you want a less powerful filter, try a

    Tiffen FL-B or look for Aquacolor filters available in a number of strengths.

    I don't know of any suppliers of Aquacolor other than Amphibico.

     

    You will want to use the filters OR the lights but not both. A filter is more useful most of the time.

  3. Hi Craig,

    Tell me about this Color Meter your using. Are you able to take it underwater with you ?

     

    Marc

  4. It is a Gossen Color-Pro 3F. I'm not aware of a housing for it although one could be made. White light has to be pretty close to white for the meter to analyze it successfully, so I doubt it would be too useful as a color meter underwater. It also functions as a light meter, though.

     

    My original intention was to house the meter, but I don't plan to do that now. I use it mainly to analyze bulbs and filters. I'd like to have a real spectrometer, but my best price so far is around $4000. Not clear it will actually help me but it sure would be fun to see full spectal plots of UR Pro and Aquacolor filters.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.