Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

A cold day out at Stoney !!!

Started by DeanB ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

A cold day out at Stoney !!!

9 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    This may be a strange subject or maybe a topic of hilarity to other lens people on this forum but i thought I'd ask anyway..

     

    I've heard there is a photo competition in the grand old british dive site Stoney Cove, coming soon. Is anyone here daft..Sorry brave enough and willing to put their mummy wiped arses to the test and go and show their British resolve.. I'm off up there to retrieve my BCD thats been festering in service for 7 months. So I though i would go for the challenge of finding something worth shooting..As long as i can borrow my mates camera.??

     

    If there is any wetpixeler's attending please let me know and i will join you for a (man's) pint on the day... :lol:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB..

  2. Overwhelming response ?

     

    Attractions of Stony - Can I come along just for the beer ?

     

    Paul C

  3. NUPG organised splash-ins in Capernwray for the last 2 years - doubtful for this next year (March) as response was not enormous - although some nice pix were taken as the trout are friendly. We had one member take a bag of trout food as bait, a bad move as the firstv trout nicked the entire bagful and swam off with it!

     

    If you post the date about Stoney, I'll circulate it!

  4. On the subject of hilarity, I worked as a safety diver for a TV shoot in Dorothea quarry the other day (its a long story - we never actually had to get in the water). The 6m rib with its 135 outboard (actually there were 2 ribs) did seem overkill, but I have never seen rain like it - the bilge pump really was needed! The things diving involves you in.....

  5. I actually like to consider myself and ex-man when it comes to diving in Stoney. I have however only dived there a few times and mostly for my Instructor exams. I have however been there many times just to hang out in a dive environment and drink beer ... same goes for Guildenburgh ... there at least I have racked up over 100 dives probably.

    I would never consider photos in Guildy .. I wouldn't know which mirk cloud to aim for first. Stoney would have some awesome shots especially if you got their early mid week when no one else is in the water and already knew where you were going.

  6. Thats better,

     

    There are men (or fools) out there...

     

    I'm scouting for the big stuff...Pike.. I think it will be challenging to say the least. Seeing how I'm using my mates trusty EX11 again..

     

    The date of the competition is Saturday the 19th..November. Starting at 8am.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  7. I'll probably try and make it over now that I'm living but 30 mins away. I'll be without the trusty camera tho as it died on me recently and its going to be packed off to Nikon for repair. Bummer.

     

    Unless I can persuade SWMBO that I need a 2nd body that is.

  8. Catch-22:

     

    Stoney Cove can be really nice when there are no divers in it....

    ....when there are divers in it, it isn't very nice.

     

    I was driven out of NDAC Chepstow at the weekend, as the quarry wall avalanched down in the rain, and completed my IANTD technical course in Stoney.

    The visibility was over 15m, and the shoals of fish spectacular, and there was even a lazy pike beneath the bus stop... but my Nexus was replaced with a stage bottle.

     

    Oh, Phil Short ran a really fantastic course, by the way, and now I need advice on diving with a stage bottle AND a housing!

     

    Tim Priest

     

    B)

  9. Hi All,

     

    Change of plan (for me and buddy).. The contest is on a Saturday and seeing as I have better things to do like sleep off a hangover, go shopping (?) etc..etc.. than battle my way through the kicked up silt of an overcrowded cove, I will be going on friday instead..

     

    Anybody around that day i will be wearing a fetching, Blue / black O'Three drysuit and carrying a "old fashioned" Black & yellow Motormarine EX11. Say high and i will buy you a beer (maybe).

     

    Apparently my buddy reckons last week it was swarming with baby fish surrounded by hungary Pike..!! Then again he's a serial alcoholic / fantasist.. :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.