Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

S2 advice please

Started by seadeuce ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

S2 advice please

2 posts
  1. After much soul-searching and checking of sites/reviews, I have almost come down on the side of an S2. The final factor to decide is cost; I want to use the camera for a while before getting an Ike housing, but also want a "system" that will allow flexibility UW.

     

    Therefore I would appreciate your input as to which lenses to get to obtain good images in GREEN water. Not lucky enough to have blue over here in Ireland.

     

    I am used to shooting Macro, and have already decided on the 60mm Nikkor. But the rest .... ? Two more should do, but which?

     

    Also, will one DS200 suffice, or should I plan on a DS125 plus a YS90DX?

     

    Have heard that the RAW converter with the camera has given problems. Is there a better alternative?

     

    Any advice on a "complete" system, based on actual UW usage, will be welcome, as I am a newbie at digital - reckon you've guessed that already - and I am trying to reach a hit list of accessories Etc. that I can get over a period of time suited to my budget.

     

    Hoping to minimise mistakes by tapping on to the experience of others.

     

     

    Cheers,

     

    Seadeuce

    (aka Nigel Kelleher)

  2. Hi Nigel,

     

    Hopefully you won't spend all of your money on a camera, so you can travel to warm water where visability is more than 20 feet...:-)

     

    The raw conversion software is just fine. You should also get Qimage Pro which does it too and is an excellent printing program. Cost is about $30 US.

     

    For macro you will be all set with the 60. Another nice lens is the 105 but $$.

     

    Two strobes is always better than one but again, that all depends on $$$. A DS125 with a slave would be good for macro and also wideangle. Of course two DS125's or two SS200's would be better of course...:-)

     

    If you're going to be diving in low viz green water you should probably just start with macro though and see how that goes. If you're not going to be able to "excercise" wideangle shooting you won't need any more lenses.

     

    Heck, have you thought about getting a Coolpix 5000 instead? Much less money and it takes excellent macro shots.

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.