It is competition season and I have seen a couple of communications recently commenting about photographers who many people see as pros entering "amateur only" competitions. This post is not about naming names, but I thought a discussion of the problem might be interesting/helpful.
I think that part of the problem is the definition of pro. If income is used, we find that many of the most well known "pro photographers" often have substantial income from other areas and while they earn well from their photography they are often earning much more from non-diving related business.
In Europe there are very few photographers who regard themselves as professionals (which has a slightly different definition here - meaning you are doing UW photography all day every day). Most photogs have other major income streams from other businesses. This is why a lot of top European photographers often are seen to be unfairly entering US based amateur comps - the word has a different useage over here. To use an Academic analogy there is a lot of difference between being a professor in the States and be a professor in the UK university.
In general, I think all competitions should be open to all. But with amateur/novice/beginner categories aimed at encouraging newbies. After that people should be encouraged to compete at a high level - in anycase most comps won't attract big names as they don't have any prestige value.
Most serious "pro-level' photographers will only enter the most prestigious competitions as these are the only ones that will enhance their reputation. Personally, this year I only entered my club (BSoUP competitions), and then only the ones I see as most important (BBC Wildlife and Antibes - although I might change these choices if I lived somewhere other than Europe). These competitions don't limit the entries (Antibes even states that they don't care if pictures have won other competitions before - they just want the best). And consequently these are the ones that have an effect on your reputation. Oh and I also entered the Seahorse competition as you got a free box of chocolates!
To get back to the point, most pros rarely shoot competitions images - they are usually more concerned in shooting for the client or the planned editorial usage of the image. So they tend not to produce a lot of competition images. It is the well funded (and often well known) pro-level photographers (but who are not only earning from their images and therefore would be outside the financial definition of pro) that tend to produce the best stand alone images. And many of these people choose not to eneter amateur competition because they feel they are outside the spirit of the rules. Others chose to enter because they are nbot breaking the rules. And I think this is where the problem starts.
Anyway, there are a few thoughts to get things started. What do others think? I have tried to be a bit provocative! And I would re-iterate that it is best not to get too specific in negative examples.
Alex