Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony FX1 and L&M Housing questions

Started by peacedog ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony FX1 and L&M Housing questions

3 posts
  1. Curious as to what those of you using the FX1 and the housing designed for it by Light & Motion...

     

    1) Do you find it significantly heavier than other L&M housings with smaller cameras? I just got rid of an Equinox housing for the DVX100a because it was rediculously cumbersome in the water. I'm looking to make the jump to another pro-level camera rig, but afraid I'll need to drop another 20lbs from my weight pockets.

     

    2) Is the resolution of the image that much more impressive in most situations you watch the video in than a high-end DV camera such as the VX2000? Since we can't burn Hi-Def DVDs yet and only one program on the Mac can even deal with HDV, is is worth it to make the expensive jump?

     

    Keep in mind, before you reply, that I'm only interested in Light & Motion gear. Otherwise, any and all thoughts appreciated.

  2. CHeck out some of Wagsy's stuff that he has posted in the Phenom thread that is pinned. Lots of HD footage in there and i am sure he would appreciate your comments on it if you would take the time to download it.

     

    I can't comment on the L&M but even though you don't want it...my Phenom is a jewel in the water, a lot easier to push around and much better balanced than my 950 housing. I think the size of any HD housing is actually a bonus because they are extremely steady in the water

     

    M

  3. peacedog

    I only saw the L&M housing at DEMA so I can't comment on the housing. I do know that to look at one make and nothing else is limiting, esp since no one housing is perfect and it would depend on what your needs are. SWA lenses vs macro vs budget etc.

    There are 3 programs which handle HDV on a mac, iMovie, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro, each progressively having more features.

    Presently the only way to view HDV tapes is using Sony's HVRM10 or DVHS from JVC, that's at HD resolution. Most people who have downconverted from HDV to DV have noticed better pictures but I'm one of the few that says the difference is not very significant.

    I am very excited to see the Panasonic HDV200, with the 4:4:4 progressive at 720/60P, direct to memory card or drive. The format will be DVC Pro HD, which is better than HDV and closer to HDCAM. What's exciting is that at 60P, that frogfish strike in slo-mo will look fantastic for a system under 10K.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.