Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

problem: lens reflected in dome port

Started by baddpix ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

problem: lens reflected in dome port

8 posts
  1. I have a problem with internal reflections in my dome port.

     

    This is a clean, new Ikelite 8 inch dome port (for Canon 10-22 mm lens).

     

    I took some shots in a crystal clear freshwater pool: some half-in-half-out shots and some very close to the surface. In many of the photos you can clearly see an image of the lens itself (the concentric rings of the lens front elements, or even the lettering on the lens). :) It's presumably caused by internal reflections in the dome port.

     

    Webimg_8952.jpg

     

    Is this a well known problem, and are there tricks to avoid it??

     

    In these pictures there was a graduated 2 stop neutral density filter on the lens. Could that be part of the problem?

     

    Any advice welcome

  2. Try applying gun-sight matt black paint to the front of the lens - to cover the reflecting bit - also try S Frink who has published some comments and solutions about this.

  3. Someone sugested a black neoprene sleeve for the lens ... I can't find the thread - I'm sure someone will :) ... I'm making one up now :>

     

    Alex also mentions black tape to beat the reflection ...http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5125

     

    HTH

    Lndr

  4. try to avoid shooting against the sun.

     

    Julian

  5. Otherwise, that's a beautiful shot! How did you mount your Grad ND filter?

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. How did you mount your Grad ND filter?

     

    It was just screwed into the front of the lens, and aligned so that the darkest part was at the top. So I could only take photos in landscape orientation (although I wish I had tried a few test shots in portrait orientation to evaluate the effect of the filter).

     

    Allegedly the front element of the lens doesn't rotate when it's zoomed. Just to be safe, I didn't change the zoom until I'd taken quite a few shots.

  7. Have same problem with Nikon's 10,5mm and D2X in a nexus housing with the 170mm and 230mm dome. Both are unshaded. This picture are taken with a downward angel, in Egypt. Have the same problem here in Norway to.

     

    0650-064-2005.jpg

     

    :(

     

    Any advise?

  8. This looks like a reflection off the air bubble below. If you look closely you can actually see the lens within the dome port on the suface of the air bubble.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.