Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

USB/Firewire connections

Started by hoovermd ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

USB/Firewire connections

4 posts
  1. This may not be the correct forum but one could argue the finer points forever so here goes...

     

    Does anyone else think it is silly that we can get 12MPixel cameras, 6Gb CF microdrives but noone puts a USB2 or firewire port in the housings?

     

    I can shoot several hundred RAW pics on my Canon 5D using a 6Gb card but when I want to download these I am forced to open the camera to get to the card!

     

    Short of rolling my own (certainly possible using an extra flash port) has anyone else found a commercial solution to this problem?

     

    Am I crazy or doesn't this seem like sometjing we all would want?

     

    Mark

    Edited by hoovermd
  2. Hi Mark,

     

    On housings where it's really hard to open the unit to get the card out, I can see where this may be a worthwhile accessory. Matt seems to think so, and for his housing, I agree.

     

    But with housings where it's easy to just pop open the back and pull the card out, I'm much happier doing that, and then using the super-fast cardbus adapter in my laptop.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Ah yes, but the only housing that never leaks is one that is never opened :)

    Besides, you gotta drink sometime.

    Edited by hoovermd
  4. I am with James on this one. I prefer to exchange the card and connect it directly to the computer.

     

    BTW, even if you never open your housing, it IS going to leak someday! :)

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.