Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite's Dome Ports

Started by Marc Furth ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite's Dome Ports

4 posts
  1. Their was a earlier post about the superior optical properties of Ikelite’s Dome Ports. I was wondering what makes them superior to other manufactured Domes, and what are they made from compared to glass ?

     

    Marc

  2. Superior to what? Who knows. All dome manufacturers claim to have superior port optics. It's kind of like the #1 dive op in Cozumel. They all are.

     

    The Ike dome is acrylic. Some of other manufacturers use glass domes and boast of their superiority. Who really knows? If given an option, I would go with plastic. Water corrects minor scratches in plastic. I got a lot of nicks in my plastic ports, none of which are noticeable. Not so with glass. Glass is also heavier. And of course, more expensive.

     

    Have all the manufacturers send me housing and dome port. I'll run some tests to determine who's is best.

  3. I just acquired 3 different Domes to evacuate, two 6 inch Domes and one 8 inch. I think I’ll be using the 6 inch Dome on my S2 Housing. The 8 inch fits well but I can’t center the camera into it. They all look great with out any noticeable distortion that I can discern . I’ve been comparing them to Ike’s Dome Port but have been wondering what makes one better than another. One of my Domes is made from Lexan and has a slight hue to it. It has a little Gray or blue tint to it, if I’m not mistaken. I’ll be trying both to see if there are any noticeable differences.

     

    I do have several old scratched Domes that I would let you evaluate, but no housings.

     

    Marc

  4. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    [i just acquired 3 different Domes to evacuate]

     

    Boy Marc,

    evacuating dome ports has got to hurt! LOL

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.