Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What kind of crab?

Started by whitehead ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

What kind of crab?

13 posts
  1. Any idea what kind of crab this is?

     

    Location: Lembeh

    Depth: 4 meters

    Size: about 10 mm across body

    post-1614-1133019200_thumb.jpg

  2. Some type of neck crab, need a slightly better pic for better id.

    or so says my wife the fish id lady

  3. I'm not happy with that answer 'cause this little guy is so cute he deserves a proper name. I've sent the http to Art - my guide in all things crabby - in hopes he'll respond.

  4. Perspective is a little odd, but you sure it's not a Hyastenus bispinosus relative?

     

    ~Matt Segal

  5. It might be a majid but not a close relative of Hyastenus bispinosus. H. bispinosus has 2 major spines forming the rostrum like in Naxioides taurus. I haven't found a corresponding image, that's why I called in the cavalry (i.e., Art).

  6. Well, I am totally flabbergasted! Art said from the angle he can't even tell what family it is. Paul, I know it's a tough job but you're just going to have to go back to Lembeh and take some more photographs for us.

  7. Cheers, I am going to have another search through the shots tonight, but I think they are all a similar angle, unfortunately, I seem to remember it being very wary......

     

     

    _WHT3350.jpg

  8. Have been looking through the files trying to find a view of the carapice but to no avail. I have continued to search the web and ID books but can find nothing close as yet...... these are as close a carapice view as I, unfortunately, got. the only other bit of relevant ino i have is that it buried itself in the sand after a while.....

     

     

    _WHT3355.jpg

    Edited by whitehead
  9. _WHT33571.jpg
  10. Thanks, Paul. Let's see if Art can do anything with these.

  11. Unfortunately, there's still not enough detail for Art to be able to tell what this is. Like I said, you'll just have to go back to Lembeh!

  12. I didn't give up on this one and TA-DA!!! - it's Gomeza bicornis. Apparently it's fairly widespread in the IP especially on sandy-muddy shores in seagrass areas. It's just not in any of the usual guide books or web sites.

  13. Cheers Leslie!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.