Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New camcorder

Started by cherylg ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

New camcorder

5 posts
  1. Help! I'm shopping for my first camcorder. I don't have much to spend so

    I'm looking at under $1000 (for the camera real $'s not MSRP). The new JVC GR X5US has great

    specs/price for an underwater camcorder. I can't find a housing or anyone

    thinking about making a housing for it.

     

    Do you know where I can find info for this, or can anyone recommend a

    comparable system in the same price range? IE.... cam and housing under $2000 that performs reasonably without video lights in clear water.

     

    The system also needs to travel well since I don't live in an area where we do much local diving. I'm getting rid of my Nik V and A1 strobe. Just got too expensive to maintain for the amount I actually get to use it. Not to mention I've never used it enough to get very good with it.

  2. If you want to dive with it, I'd shop for housing simultaneously so you won't be disappointed that an appropriate housing isn't avavilable. I'm partial to Sony. Look for the largest lens and sensor you can afford.

  3. Hi Cheryl,

     

    You may want to contact either Ikelite or Top Dawg. Both of them make housings that fit most every camera out there. They would be your best bet for sure.

  4. Thanks guys...... after a long search I found that Ike isn't making a housing for the X5 but Equinox is. Equinox will fit their housings to just about any camera you want at a reasonable price.

  5. I am also looking as well for a setup and although Equinox specs seem on the mark, getting anyone to reply to emails or phone messages there is not up to par for customer service - although it could just be the holidays getting in the way...

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.