Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

blured motion

Started by mrbubbles ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

blured motion

12 posts
  1. I have a d70/inon system. I'm going on a trip next month to palau. I want to try some action shots with motion, like panning, or any other technique, any advise or techniques would be greatly appreciated

  2. A number of folks around here have played with this, Alex Mustard and Randapex the first that come to mind. A shot that Rand took was the inspiration for my attempts in Turks and Caicos.

     

    My technique was a bit different than the norm I think. I tried to keep the camera still and let the object move. My setup was 1/3 of a second at f13, 60mm lens.

     

    RAH_Fish_01.jpg

  3. Remember to set the flash to rear curtain sync to light the subject in the end of the exposure and leave the trail behind (like in Richard's nice example). That is, unless you want the opposite effect, but I don't think that's very attractive.

     

    Luiz

  4. How about these?

     

    Bonaire2005_022.jpg

     

    Bonaire2005_029.jpg

     

    TC_2005_006.jpg

     

    Karl

  5. those are all great. the first is a prize winner to me. im going to try it on fast action shark shots. i may not always be in flash range. can you get in and out of rear curtain underwater in a nexus housing? any panning experiences?

  6. Shoot! I can't believe I forgot that "part"!! Yes, mine is a rear curtain shot, so your camera must have the ability to do that for this type of shot to work...

     

    If you CAN use rear curtain, there is no reason not to leave it turned on at ALL times, as you will only notice it on these types of shots. When you are shooting the "normal" shots, it makes no difference.

     

    BTW, seems the judges in most contests don't really appreciate these types of shots. Rand and I both have only come up with honorable mentions for these attempts...

    Edited by richorn
  7. Here are some shark motion images. The Caribbean reef shark (shark isolated with reef on the bottom) includes panning, as does the bull shark (the image that includes the rainbow runners near the top of the shark). Just pointing this out because many people can't tell the difference between bulls and reef sharks.

     

    The shark feeder image doesn't have panning. I shot it that way to give the viewer a sense of the feeding frenzy taking place at the shark dive in Fiji.

     

    All images shot on Velvia with a shutter speed of 1/5 of a sec and f stop of f22. They are displayed "as shot." The lens in all images is a Nikon 16mm Fisheye and I used rear sync. The ambient light was very low and my inons were set at a very weak setting. Key points to remember: The position of the photographer is vital. Shoot into the sun and you are likely to overexpose the images.

     

    Being close is the name of the game. Expect many losers and a few keepers. I'm looking forward to trying these shots with my new D2x and Aquatica housing in the near future.

     

    good luck.

     

    Michael Patrick O'Neill

    www.mpostock.com

    www.batfishbooks.com

    post-4615-1133155839_thumb.jpg

    post-4615-1133155862_thumb.jpg

  8. Reef shark image

     

    Michael Patrick O'Neill

    www.mpostock.com

    www.batfishbooks.com

    post-4615-1133156046_thumb.jpg

  9. That's agreat shot Michael

     

    There is always photshop to do the blur, much easier but not always better than doing for real. This one I did in Photoshop.

    post-5493-1133390730_thumb.jpg

  10. Well, there's that :D:P

     

    Karl

  11. that photoshop shot is great, but thats too easy! for some reason i need to do it the hard way :D

  12. looks like photoshop was set to front curtain! :D

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.