Today I saw my first ever black frogfish (we call them anglerfish). I have precisely zero good photos and two that I'm keeping just because they show I was there. In one he's even yawning a little for me. BUT
a.) they are full of backscatter. That was just me and my brain freezing, so I can probably work that blunder out...it always seems to happen on the shots I care about LOL
b.) this little guy just SUCKED all the light out of the water. Underwater I couldn't even find his eye so I just took a guess and fired away. I did OK with that part - not great, but OK - but man, he's just a vacuum for light.
He was sitting on a light coloured sponge, kinda yellow/greeny, and I have that exposed properly (whooppeee). So pretty much I figure I have to frame that puppy out of things if I find him again tomorrow. BUT
how do I light this guy to get some detail and not totally fry everything around him? Am I going to have to just accept a full frame closeup? I'd like to have a shot of the whole guy, but the background is problematic at this time. Oh yeah, he's sitting IN the sponge so it kind of surrounds him on two and a bit sides...
I appreciate any and all help and pointers. Here is the gear I have so please help me with that in mind: Canon 20D, 60mm, Woody's dioptre, single Inon 220s strobe, twin miniQ torches for aiming lights.
