Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Do I need a strobe?

Started by tdhg566 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Do I need a strobe?

6 posts
  1. I have a Canon A620 with the Canon WP-DC90 housing to use for shallow water/snorkling pictures. Is there an appropriately sized strobe that I might consider? By "appropriate" (for me) I mean 1) not cost more than the camera and housing did and 2) actually benefit me in shallow water. I'm not looking to buy the strobe I might need in 3 years if I decide underwater photography is something I wish to pursue. :D

     

    I've searched this web site, both the lighting and beginner forums, and read all the posts from people asking similar questions. No "obvious" choice fell out.

     

    I buy all my photo equipment from B&H whenever possible. FWIW, they "suggest" the Sunpak G-flash, or the Sealife SL960D, or the S&S YS-25. Since I have no idea whether we will do this very often, I hesitate to put $600 into a strobe only to be used once or twice (the A620 is my carry-all camera that I have anyway). I will though if someone convinces me that my pictures will be worthless unless I do.

     

    FWIW, I'm a serious and relatively accomplished amateur photographer using 1 series Canon dSLRs on land my online galleries.

     

    TIA

  2. Hi and welcome to Wetpixel, please feel free to introduce yourself in our thread in "The Galley"

     

    My recommended equipment purchase order is camera+housing, then strobe, then wideangle lens.

     

    Adding a strobe to your compact will bring out phenomenal color, even in shallow water. Sea and Sea makes a strobe and arm system for the YS25 which is small, light, and inexpensive. I recommend you check that one out.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Welcome to Wetpixel! I looked at your online gallery and really liked your land photography.

     

    Now, be careful, underwater photography is very addictive! After a few dives with you compact I am sure you will be looking for a housing for your dSLR! :D I second James' suggestions about the strobe.

     

    Luiz

  4. I can recommend the S&S YS 25 from experience, it’s a nice strobe, and to me he works very well without any problems for more the 2 1/5 years.

    Just check that its work ok with your specific model and ignore the pre-flash, with my S50 it's can't synchronized so I works only in manual mode, its not a problem since it's my preferred mode anyway but it’s sometimes limits a bit.

  5. Mega thanks to all for the help. I'm probably willing to spring for the S&S YS 25 but I have a few more questions.

     

    1) RE the comment to "make sure it works with my specific model", where do I find a "compatibility" chart to make sure S&S YS 25 will work with other cameras I or my wife already own and underwater housings I might buy? I looked at the specs on the mfg web site and couldn't find any such information. Hint?

     

    2) If I were to buy a dedicated underwater digital camera from another manufacturer (don't know who, just trying to understand), would the S&S YS 25 work with it as well?

     

    3) This is somewhat of an abstract question, but hopefully you will get my drift. Longer term, is the S&S YS 25 the type of strobe that someone could be happy with for a reasonably long time (5 years, 10 years), as opposed to maybe quickly "outgrowing" a strobe that costs 1/4 as much? For example, as there limitations in the S&S YS 25 that might render it obsolete when the NEXT series of dSLRs come out? If I'm going to be discarding the strobe in 2-3 years, then I might as well discard a cheaper one instead of a more expensive one.

     

    Again, I very much appreciate the feedback and comments

  6. The Ikelite DS50 strobe should be on your list. Relatively low price, small size, but quite powerful.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.