I recently purchased my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 5600. To go along with it, I also bought the NIKON UW Housing for Coolpix 4600/5600 cameras. Most of my underwater shots were fairly good. However, I now realize that I really do need a strobe to fully appreciate the colors at depth. Unfortunately, I have been told that Nikon does not have a strobe that accessorizes the Nikon Coolpix 5600. Have I wasted my money on the Nikon Coolpix 5600??? Or is there a slave strobe that can be used for digital cameras that do not have ports for strobe attachments??? And if so, what is recommended and where can I get it?
- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
Slave Strobes
-
-
Many strobes will be able to sync with your camera. But manual control of the exposure (aperature and shutter speed) is required to use strobes properly.
The CP5600 does not have any manual control. So it will not work well with any strobe.
-
Bill is quite right...
However, if this is the camera you have and you are still looking for a strobe solution, I seem to remember that the Inon D-2000 was created with these cameras/situations in mind.
Pretty sure someone with more knowledge than I will jump in here!
BTW, Welcome!
-
Only a very small strobe will be needed as the camera will always be "stuck" at f2.8
Cheers
James
-
Thank you for your replies!!! I want to emphasize that, although I am a very experienced diver, I am photographically illiterate!!! I am lost when it comes to F stops, manual vs. auto, appertures, and shutter speeds, etc... Therefore, when selecting a digital camera, the Nikon Coolpix 5600 (point & shoot) seemed to be the way to go. Now, it would appear that I should have stuck with taking mental photos and did some additional research before going out and dropping major $$$'s on this digital camera and housing. So....is the INON D-2000 the way to go??? Is it the best one for my current set-up??? What about Ikelite or Sea&Sea??? Do they have slave strobes that would work??? And how does the slave strobe work??? It appears like it is synched to the camera's flash via an optic mechanism, correct???
-
Yes, Ikelite's DS-50 would work fine. I dont know Sea&Sea's line up very well but yes they have strobes that would work too. As James said, any stobe will have more than enough power since the camea will allways be at F/2.8.
Personally I would not bother to use a strobe with your camera. Cost, both in money and hassel, is not worth it for the limited benefit you will get.
Use what you have for a few years. Learn to get the most out of what you have. Then upgrade to a more capible camera with a strobe.