Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Underwater lighting

Started by Jim Payne ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater lighting

11 posts
  1. I was given a huge underwater light made by a company called "The Underwater Connection" out of Newport News. The case is 14" x 5" plexiglass, and contains two large batteries (about 6" long wired together). These connect to the lid with a plug connector. The lid has one large O-ring, an on/off switch, and a 3-4 cable that connects to the bulb and reflector assembly. The bulb is covered by what looks like a large test tube that seals with three O-rings. I can find no notes regarding voltage and no trace of this company on the web.

     

    If I can find parts I would like to rebuild it, but first I need to know exactly what I have.

    I have taken some digital photos of it and can post those. What size .jpeg file would be most managable? I don't want to use up too much space.

     

    Many thanks,

     

    jim

    jpayne@nmsu.edu

    Edited by Jim Payne
  2. 600 pixels wide is usually a good size

  3. Welcome to the forum Jim! I am sure someone will be able to help you with that, we have all kinds of gear experts and housing engineers here. If you have photoshop, just set the size to 500 or 600 pixels in the long dimenstion (as William said) and use the command "Save for Web", selecting medium quality.

     

    You will get more feedback if you post the pictures in the "Lights, Strobes and Lighting Techniques" forum, in the gear area.

     

    Luiz

    Edited by Rocha
  4. I am trying to figure out how to send these photos of the inherited beast. I am going to try to send one. I tried to attach all 4 at once (photoshopped down) and got a message about global space limits.

     

    jim

  5. I think I am finally getting the hang of this. Used Photoshop to prepare these pics of the monster light. Hope this works. If any can tell be what I have I would appreciate it.

     

    I added a copy of a picture of the lucite housing that wouldn't fit before. That may help.

    Thanks for the Dive Rite clue!

     

    Jim

     

     

    jimpost-5578-1133809907_thumb.jpgpost-5578-1133810118_thumb.jpg

    post-5578-1133895642_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Jim Payne
  6. First impressions remind me of early Dive-rite lights.

     

    The battery looks to be a common sealed lead acid that was very popular in u/w lighting a few years ago.

     

    Hope this helps.

  7. Yep, it's a DiveRite Quartz Halogen light for cave-diving or shooting video.

     

    Contact www.diverite.com for particulars.

     

    you'll need to replace batteries (sealed lead acid batteries are cheap) the O-rings (cheap) and possibly the bulb (semi-cheap). If you don't have the charger, you'll need to get an appropriate charger.

  8. I called Dive Rite and they say it isn't a Dive Rite light. I sent the tech rep the photos and found a source of batteries: Interstate Batteries has 12v SLA batteries with various amp hour ratings that will fit. Not that expensive either, considering. Two connected in series would give me what I need. Finding a bulb should not be impossible. Dive Rite is going to get back to me on that. The problem is matching the way the bulb mounts and figuring out what wattage to use. Then I have to figure out how to make this sucker less negative. It is around 20 lbs now. Make a great weight belt, but don't drop it! :huh:

     

    Thanks for the tip on Dive Rite. Any other thoughts most welcome!

     

    Jim

  9. Jim,

     

    Try the guys at SARTEK in NY www.sarind.com. They have made all sorts of lights over the years.

     

    Peter

  10. My first impression is an early AUL light. They were well known for their plexiglas light canisters. But it has been soooo long since I've seem one of their light cans, I'm not sure.

     

    Are the batteries colored red, white, and blue? That's a giveaway for AUL.

     

    AUL went out of business when Sartek sued every light manufacturer in sight.

     

    My best thought would be a chat with Barry Miller at Salvo Diving; he's very good at rebuilding/modifying/what-have-you.

     

    All the best, James

  11. HI James,

     

    No red, white, and blue battery. Just two black cells connected together. Total length about 12.5" X 4" high x 3.5" wide. And it is dead, dead, dead. I am using a test meter to check continuity on the internal wiring and cable. I will email Salvo and see what they say. Wish I could afford one of those new NIMH batteries! I think it is worth the investment to fix it. Something like this new would be pretty pricy from what I have seen.

     

    Thanks for the hint!

     

    Jim

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.