Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Next Generation

Started by Kasey ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Next Generation

5 posts
  1. As most of you know, I own one of the original Titan housings and an E-20 camera. With the wetmate lenses it makes for an incredibly flexible system, and I'm overall happy with the results I've gotten from the system. I'm somewhat dissatisfied with the service I've gotten from Light and Motion, they don't seem to have the drive to please that Ike's guys seem to display. On the other hand, backscatter (where I actually bought the unit)has been exceptional.

     

    The problems I've had have been obvious design flaws. For example, the handles cannot support the torque that the strobes place on them, and eventually the base mounts that hold the mounting ball start to spin, allowing the strobe to spin as well. Another example is the magnet ring that controls the focus - great idea, but water seeped inside, corroded the magnet which expanded and deformed the ring making it impossible to focus manually. Inspection of the ring showed that is was sealed only with slilicone - no o-ring. After a run-around LMI replaced the magnet ring, and they are repairing my handles for the 2nd time right now.

     

    My complaint is not the design flaws themselves, but the reluctance of LMI to correct them in new units. They imply that it is only my particular unit that has this problem (even though cathy church has revealed her problems with the handles on her web site). Well, the fact is that my housing probably does have over 150 hours underwater, more than some will see in a lifetime, but a flaw is a flaw, and should be corrected. My concern is that next year when the unit is out of warranty, I will be gouged on these replacement parts - the same parts that I will need over and over again because they are poorly designed. What is a nuisance now will become an unfair expense.

     

    So, I have a reason to start shopping for my next dSLR. I want to go beyond the 5-6MP range to a Kodak 14N, or maybe to the successor to the D1x. The weak point in my E-20 was focus in low contrast, so I'd like to find something much better.

     

    The d1x offers 16bit color - what about other pipeline cameras. It seems like that would facilitate much greater color accuracy. What is in the pipeline? I'm looking 3-6mos down the road and $ is not an issue. Well, lets say up to $10k for the camera.

     

    What do you guys think of the new software for the D1x anyway? Raw files from the camera now produce a 9MP 16-bit file. Would the interpolation from the raw file be better than photoshop or GF on a TIFF? Does it extend the life of the D1x, or will there be a D2 around the corner? What about an Oly E-30 - I could (hopefully) continue to use my Titan, flaws and all.

     

    Sorry about the rant. reply to whatever interests you!

     

    Kasey

  2. So, I have a reason to start shopping for my next dSLR.  I want to go beyond the 5-6MP range to a Kodak 14N, or maybe to the successor to the D1x.  The weak point in my E-20 was focus in low contrast, so I'd like to find something much better.

     

    The d1x offers 16bit color - what about other pipeline cameras.  It seems like that would facilitate much greater color accuracy.  What is in the pipeline?  I'm looking 3-6mos down the road and $ is not an issue.  Well, lets say up to $10k for the camera.

     

    What do you guys think of the new software for the D1x anyway?  Raw files from the camera now produce a 9MP 16-bit file.  Would the interpolation from the raw file be better than photoshop or GF on a TIFF?  Does it extend the life of the D1x, or will there be a D2 around the corner?  What about an Oly E-30 - I could (hopefully) continue to use my Titan, flaws and all.  

     

    Sorry about the rant.  reply to whatever interests you!

     

    Kasey

    If you want something in your hands in the next 3-6mos, I think your best bets are the Kodak 14N or the Canon 1Ds. I think getting to a full frame 36mm x 24mm imaging chip represents a major plateau in the technolog. Aside from making one that 36x36mm, I really don't expect to see rapid improvements beyond that. Of course the price will come down after more competitors enter the market, but since price is not an issue for you, I think that both of these will be close to the best for awhile as far as the imaging chip goes.

     

    I'm not sure how good the rest of the Kodak camera is for things like focusing and light metering; its 1/125s Xsync speed is certainly a handicap. If $$ is not an issue, I'd probably go out and get myself a Canon 1Ds today.

     

    16bit color is just hype. The sensors themself really only have 11 to 12 bits of dynamic range, which is much better than the 8 to 9 bits that the E20 sensors have.

     

    Have fun shopping!

  3. I'm confused about bit depth, I thought it was 8 or 16, with nothing in between. If the chip is 11 bit, but it translates to 8 in your computer, then what good is it? Wouldn't it need to translate to 16 bit to preserve 11 to 12 bit depth?

     

    kc

  4. I also want to find something that will have good housing options - perhaps seacam.

  5. I'm refering to actual information available from the sensor. Dynamic range is the (Max signal)/(noise level) , and the best you can get today is around 4000 which is 12 bits. The 8 or 16 bit choise has to do with the some output formats and post processing software data types. I think lots of raw formats will just output 12 bits per pixel, some may put out 16 in some formats, but they really do not contain any more information than the 12 bit outputs. The extra bits are either just noise or zeros.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.