Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

A 2006 Wetpixel Calendar?!?!

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

A 2006 Wetpixel Calendar?!?!

12 posts
  1. PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING COMMENTS :P

     

    Expediting the release of a 2006 calendar would require pictures from Wetpixel staff, a few invited members, and a few pictures from an open contest for members. Clearly any photos would have to be of the highest quality as this is an extension of Wetpixel.

     

    If we wait to do an 2007 calendar there would be an extensive "contest" period where members could submit photos. Please note even if we wait till 07 there will only be 12-30 photos in the calendar. We still will need to sell around 1000 just to break even.

     

    Let’s assume the price will be around US$15.00, not including shipping.

     

    This has been “officially†ordained by Wetpixel

    Edited by NWDiver
  2. A calendar is a great idea, but I think that an '06 calendar should be on sale now or yesterday. How fast can a calendar be produced?

  3. If we are to include any photos from members via some very brief open competition it will add time.

     

    1. First we need to make sure at least 1000 calendars will sell, give this poll 1-2wks

    2. We would need to have at least 1wk were members could submit photos

    3. 1wk to review photos

    4. 2-3 weeks to layout calender

    5. 7-12 days to print

    6. 3 weeks to ship from Shanghai. Note China will shut down Jan 23rd-Feb15th for Chinese New Year

    7. Once landed 2wks to distribute to members

     

    So best case scenario you are looking at about 16weeks minimum. Figure something will go wrong, take longer than expected and make it 18-19 weeks. That gets us to April/May.

  4. In all cases (one of my picture in or not) I'd rather wait for the 2007 calendar. May-June is too late. You might want to change the wording of the poll. It is more about : Do you want a 2006 calendar in may-june or a 2007 before 2007.It is a calendar afterall not a book. I think time matters. Then if you want to see how many people would buy it if they have a picture in it or not you can have a second poll. I can see those as nice christmas stockers but as the name implies they need to be here by Christmas. I would buy one for sure if I don't have a picture in for me and may be a couple for diver friends and of course more if I have a picture in it as it would also go to family members then (ego is always a killer :P) !!!!.

    Also having the 2007 calendar out early might not be bad. It can be a nice birthday present or else for diver friends.

    Sylvie

  5. Shouldn't the best images avail. be used rather than setup by staff and invited members?

  6. By May or June you want to be advertising 2007 calendars. And I think you will find that choosing the images to be used is much harder than it seems like it should be. And then you have layout and design and review and more layout and design.

     

    Randy and I have been producing a calendar of our images for three years now. We don't sell them, just use them as Christmas gifts for family and friends. We use a local company called Digi-labs, see http://digi-labs.net. I looked for a long time before finding them. I didn't want a Kinko's calendar.

     

    The calendars are 12x18" and 80lb glossy cardstock. Very professional looking, full color process, printed on an HP Indigo printer (I think). Price for 100-200 is $14.95. We get only 15-20 and they're $23.95. But we take advantage of their proximity to us and pick them up to save on the shipping.

     

    All that being said, I wouldn't mind getting a chance at having a photo of mine in a Wetpixel calendar. Maybe 2007? :-)

     

    Best,

    Kathy Mendes

  7. How about a > 1 year calendar? This could accommodate more pix. I have seen 13, 14, and 18 month calendars. It could start during 2006 and end in 2008. There should be a few months between delivery and start of the calendar, now it is too late to produce one beginning in January 2006.

    Tom

  8. Yep, i think you are much better to wait for 07, calenders should be for sale by at least Sept i think for the following year

  9. Does a calendar have to start with January?

    What about July 06 - June 07?

     

    Cheers

    Torben

  10. Bump, looking for a little more feedback.

  11. If you are going to do a calendar (I figure 12 months plus front and back maybe 14 pictures) why not link it to the photo contest.... 14 best shots from the contest can be in there...

     

    On another note, it seems that the original idea was to be able to involve a large amount of contributors, but a calendar would definately liimit that as opposed to going all out with a book. Sure there are limits.... but whoever volunteers to be an editor would get listed ( i assume) as an editor and all of a sudden they have edited a book.. not so bad for the resume. As I said a while ago in the Wetpixel Coffe Table Book thread, I might be able to help a lot if you decide to go for the book http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7933&st=40

  12. Hi all,

     

    I agree with the concept that maybe the first and second place winners of the Wetpixel competition should be used. However, that might leave out Wetpixel management. Otherwise, you are going to get 1-2 thousand pictures submitted and have the task of weeding out 1,988 of them. The easiest way is to select from the competition. This will also promote contest submissions.

     

    Joe

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.