Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Film/slide scanner recommendations?

Started by ReelBruin ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Film/slide scanner recommendations?

7 posts
  1. Any recommendations on 35mm film/slide scanners? I want to digitize some of my old 35mm slides.

     

    Thanks!

  2. I think NIkon makes a pretty darn good one. I would suggest the Coolscan 5000 with the bulk scan extra. The nice thing is this scanner has a function called ICE that gets rid of most of the dust and stuff that shows up on scans. It makes very big files and is very sharp.

     

    Scan to 16bit and as high a DPI as possible for best results.

    Mind you, they might have a new one out by now, the 5000 is a couple of years old now

  3. Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 is current and is a great scanner. Good suggestion Mike.

     

    See review by Thom Hogan

  4. I have a PowerSlide 3600 from Pacific imaging.

    It uses a carousel of 100 or cartridges of 50.

    I've scanned about 3000 slides this way.

     

    Mark

  5. A 3rd for the Nikon Coolscan !

     

    ICE is a lifesaver !!! I've been scanning in a lot of 60yr old+ Kodachrome slides inherited from my Grandfather and the time saved using ICE if your slide isn't absolutely clean is incredible.

  6. Just opened my nikon super coolscan 5000 with stack loader. after a very frusatating hour I called Nik tecnical to be told my unit failed the post test setup and was devective. Oh well back to B&H and wait for another. Hopefully the next one will be a keeper. Mark

  7. We use the Nikon Coolscan 9000, works perfect. I bet the 5000 is just as nice. Can't go wrong with these scanners,

     

    Cor

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.