Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Aquatica housing for the Nikon CP-995

Started by rooster ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

New Aquatica housing for the Nikon CP-995

7 posts
  1. New Aquatica housing for the Nikon CP-995

    I Just got some info on Aquaticas new housing for the CP-995. It is an aluminum housing and is supposed to be cheaper than the Tetra and Ikelite housings. The info came to me in a flyer sent by Mauricio Handler. He is a photographer and Aquatica dealer in the BVI. The flyer is in Spanish, and even though my Spanish is quite rusty, I was able to decipher most of the limited info. The housing takes advantage of the 995's swivel body and positions the lens 45 deg. off axis from the view screen. This should make for easy UW viewing, kind of like the much-touted Seacam 45 deg. viewfinder. It will have the normal Nikon synch connectors. The flyer mentions two UW detachable external lenses, a wide angle and a macro lens. Mauricio said he is going to be testing this housing this week, so more info is to come. If anyone is interested in seeing the flyer let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. It's a fairly large Jpeg file. Mauricio also said that Aquatica is working on a housing for the new CP-500. Looks like things may be looking up for Aquatica. If anyone wants to contact Mauricio for info:

     

    Mauricio Handler/commercial marine photographer, ASMP-UW, VIPPA, BVIHA

    PO Box 11156 St.Thomas, USVI 00801 (postal only)

    Tortola, British Virgin Islands (office/residence)

    Tel/Fax:(284) 494-0340

    mauricio@handlerphoto.com www.handlerphoto.com

     

    Dive Safe,

    Rooster

  2. Here's the jepg I received. It’s a little different than the on the Aquatica site. It has a couple of different views of the housing.

    image

     

    [Edited on 2-2-2002 by rooster]

  3. For all those interested in knowing what the text from the above graphics states. Here's my Spanish translation of the :

     

    "The Aquatica 995 permits the full control and manuverability of all the functions of the Nikon 995. Its 45 degree angle makes it totally ergonomic underwater. Both the wide angle and macro lens are removable underwater, making it possible to be prepared for the best possible photograph. One of the most important characteristics of this new case is that the lenses and the flash can be attached and removed underwater. Fabricated from aluminum and, like all Aquatica products, all the controls are double sealed."

     

     

    My 2 cents:

     

    The case looks promising although I would be interested in knowing what method is has available for attaching a strobe. Also, from the picture provided it looks like this case will be using the Inon lenses as well (see model no. UWL-100 on the picture of the lens). My only concern is with the 45 degree angle of the LCD---looks like keeping the glare out is not going to be an easy task.

     

    Laz

  4. Someone posted in this forum about the 5 megapixel CP 5000, and there is a casing for it too. I wonder if I had known would I still have bought the Canon S40.

  5. If I had to guess, I'd say those two black "circles" on the left side of the housing are bulkheads for the sync cord.

     

    Perhaps someone from Aquatica will stop by to clarify.

     

    HTH

    James

  6. I also wonder how the flash sensor will work. It looks like there is room for the flash to pop up. I'm waiting for more reviews to order one. This is the best looking and featured housing I've seen yet for the 995. I wonder if the wide angle adaptors can be used inside the housing?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.