I am thinking of getting the SeaLife DC500 digital camera as my first dive camera. The reviews seem to be favorable. Has anyone had experience with this camera? Thanks
- 9Posts
- 9Replies
Read-only discussion
DC 500
-
-
I think James has one for review. Stand by and hopefully he'l jump in when he gets a chance.
Mike
-
Yes, I need to get off my butt and do this review.
James
-
I had the DC500 on my list until I found out about the underwater "shark" mode. From what I've read about it, its extremely clumsy to initiate which makes it somewhat useless. I've seen the Sea and Sea 5000 sell for a little more and it looks to be much more viable. Olympus and Fuji both make good cameras that can be housed in that price range.
-
Along the same lines: I’m looking for a camera to handle both underwater and above water duties - something not bulky, rugged and easy to use. Photos are family-album/vacation in nature, not pro photographer but decent below and above the surface. I may add a strobe later on but may not. Most importantly, I need to shoot above surface with the camera in the housing. Taking the camera out is not practical in many boating related activities. For many years, I used the Sea & Sea Motormarine 35mm. It was tough but easy to pack and easy to use. I now want a digital for similar duty but the Sea & Sea offering is only 3.16 megapixel.
Thus far, my search has identified the Sealife DC500, Bonica Sea Pix 5.25 and the Sea & Sea DX-750G. The latter seems to have just hit the market so I can’t find a review.
Does anyone have expertise with these 3 candidates? The price/features of the three seem to be the range I’m willing to spring for.
The Infidel
-
Hi,
I finished the testing part of my review today, including photos of the gear and sample photos.
You may also want to look at the topside cameras that come with manufacturer housings. This included Canon, Nikon Coolpix, and Olympus.
Cheers
James
-
The sea and sea DX5000G and the DX8000G...both are 5MP and 8MP respectively and are part of the same market although their price is a little higher. As James said, a Canon, Nikon or Olympus with its manufacturers housing shouldn't be too bulky to use above water.
-
I am trying to decide on a similar type camera. I'm tired of film and my MX-10, but was always happy with the sea&sea camera quality.
It looks like the digital camera in the Sea&Sea DX-750 is made by Silicon Valley Peripherals. I think it is the SVP CDC-7530. Does anyone know about this company or the quality of their cameras? I have never heard of them and that is a major concern of mine about this camera.
I think the DX8000 is a Ricoh camera; Model CaplioGX8. The DX5000 is also probably a Ricoh; Model CaplioGX.
James - I am new to this forum but it looks like you have done some camera reviews. If so, where can I see them at?
-
Click Reviews at the upper right, then select Still Cameras and Housings.
Cheers
James