Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best point and shoot

Started by nprguy ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Best point and shoot

7 posts
  1. Hi Folks,

     

    New to the forum. Please forgive the dreaded, probably always-asked, super broad question:

    My Oly 3040 has succumbed after at least 5,000 exposures. I love U/W photography but am not interested in fooling with external strobes or SLRs. Looking for recommendations for a new point-and-shoot. Here are my requirements:

     

    - Full manual option

    - good macro (focusing down to a couple of inches)

    - minimal shutter lag

    - good lens, low light capable

    - strong internal strobe

    - good size, bright display

    - easily available housing.

     

    Thanks for your consideration

     

    Best Regards,

     

    PeterJ

  2. Peter,

    From what I've read on this subject there are two other candidates worth looking at. The Fuji F810 and the Olympus SP-350. The Canon S70 and S80 also have been mentioned in well regard. I would narrow it down to about 2-3 and go to the store and play around with them.

     

    Gary

  3. Unfortunately, the Fuji F810 has been discontinued and is no longer available from the majority of camera shops. The Canon S70 will probably go the same way soon.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Thanks Guys!

     

    Appreciate the feedback. Seems like the Oly Sp 350 or the Canon A 620 are the best looking choices (I'm not a Fuji fan, based on past experiences). Both seem to have the features I'm looking for. I'm a bit concerned that neither allows F stops higher than F8 in manual. I often shoot macro with F10 for max depth of field.

     

    The sample photos I've seen of each seem a bit unsharp, compared to my old Oly 3040, but that may just be their resolution on the web.

     

    I'd love to hear from anyone who's using either of these relatively new cameras underwater.

     

     

    Thanks again,

  5. Hi nprguy,

     

    I never get tired of saying this, i've ordered the A610 alongst with the manufacturer housing.

    Based on reviews and word of mouth from other people it seems that it's a very nice point and shoot camera, certainly one of the best out there considering it's price.

     

    Anyway I'll have the camera & housing in my hand in 9 days or so and I most likely will get a chance to dive with it in early January.

    I'll let you what my thoughts are then B) :D

  6. Jamdiver,

    Please do post any thoughts you have after getting your A610 underwater. I as well as others I'm sure will be quite interested in any of your thoughts. :D Meister

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.