Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Settings for Nikon 5400 or in general

Started by jridg ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Settings for Nikon 5400 or in general

2 posts
  1. I have been taking u/w pics for a couple of years with SeaLife cameras. I jettisoned that setup for an Iklelite housing and DS-125 recently and now I am in the world of learning about shutter settings and sync cords and manual strobe settings.

     

    My thoughts are to use the recommended Ikelite settings initially for this camera - manual mode 1/125 shutter and f5.6 - I also plan on doing a whitebalance at depth in order to regain some more natural colors. I have seen some folks recommend auto white balance for strobe and manual for no strobe. Any thoughts on this would be very welcome.

     

    Also, shooting in Manual vice automatic? Any other recommendations are very welcome.

  2. Hi, I always shoot manual, as I have more control over the camera. In automatic, the camera will almost always expose too much trying to get a lot of ambient light in the photo, and probably overexpose the foreground. Take a few test shots (in a poll if you don't have easy access to the ocean) before your first "real" use of the camera if possible, so that you get used to the settings. Start with auto white balance, and change if you don't like the results.

     

    Luiz

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.