Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

restore "unrecorded" edge pixels

Started by Jolly ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

restore "unrecorded" edge pixels

9 posts
  1. I just came across a cool tool. Digital cameras record more pixels than they finally deliver. A few pixels at the edges are cropped away for aspect ratio and processing reasons. But those pixels are still saved to RAW files. I’ve just tried ‘DNG Recover Edges’ and voila, instead of 3072x2048 pixels the image has now 3088x2056 pixels with some recovered details at the edges. OK, that’s not much, but in rare cases, this tool could even do some valuable restoring if you just slightly cropped a subject during composition. But it’s funny anyway. I don't know, maybe it has been mentioned before already.

     

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/contents...ver-Edges.shtml

     

    Julian

  2. Does this support NEF files? I don't think it does.

     

    Joe

  3. You have to convert first the NEF files to DNG format

    I tried to download the Adobe converter but for some reason it doesn't work on my work's computer <_<

  4. I downloaded the Adobe DNG converter and converted some NEF files to DNG format. However, there was no difference in size :) I must be doing something wrong.

     

    Joe B

  5. Joe, After you convert it to DNG, you must then run the DNG through the program in Julian 's link.

  6. yes, just drag and drop the converted DNG file over the program file for restoring edge pixels. that's it.

     

    Julian

  7. Done. Although subtle, I love the addition of the edges. I cannot tell you how many pics I've dumped because of "edge reasoning". Thanks for the tip.

     

    Joe

  8. Does anyone have the newest DNG converter files they can share? I cannot get the latest from Adobe for my D200 and the old one from a year ago doesn't work with these files. I have replaced the ACR file, but when I try to download the DNG converter it wants me to load a user name and password. When I do, it errors out on me.

     

    Thanks for the assistance.

  9. Does anyone have the newest DNG converter files they can share? I cannot get the latest from Adobe for my D200 and the old one from a year ago doesn't work with these files. I have replaced the ACR file, but when I try to download the DNG converter it wants me to load a user name and password. When I do, it errors out on me.

     

    Thanks for the assistance.

     

    This should do it:

    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

     

    The version available here is dated May 2006 and supports the D200...

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.