Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Blufin HD Has Arrived

Started by videodan ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Blufin HD Has Arrived

4 posts
  1. It's been a long wait, but Light & Motion's Bluefin HD for FX1/Z1 is

    out. See some pictures of it here:

    http://photodan.smugmug.com/gallery/1062024 Just got it this

    morning, and my planned afternoon dive was called due to weather.

    Took it out to the pool for some evaluation, and two things I can

    say is "Wow", and "Yes it was worth the wait". It's too early to

    give an accurate review on it, but in brief:

     

    Note - tested with standard flat port (UWA not available yet)

    Housing also has four internal adjustable (also removeable) balance

    weights. Battery pods mounted without batteries.

     

    Weight in water (freshwater) - very slight negative, in saltwater it

    should be near perfectly neutral. Very good and adjustable.

     

    Balance - Perfect! You can effortlessly tilt and aim it anywhere you

    want without any struggle. Also adjustable.

     

    Controls - Too much to go into now, but everything it has works

    excellent. No delay with manual white balance. Full and easy access

    to all menu, p-menu and picture profile functions. Note: left hand

    grip controls a little different than posted on web site, not a

    problem. Excellent electronic controls, and full manual controls.

     

    Internal Flip Macro Lens - Sweet. It is fantastic, and is usable in

    the full zoom range. Very good image quality.

     

    Monitors- I did not get an external monitor. Between the magnified

    viewfinder, and the port on top for viewing the camera's LCD, this

    may be all I need. Got to dive it to find out.

     

    Overall Satisfaction - Yes. Very high quality build, and excellent

    engineering. Need to dive it, but overall, I'm very impressed. This

    blows away my Bluefin Pro V-900, my Aqua Video FX1, and in my

    opinion, other companies current offerings for the FX1/Z1.

     

    I received the Pro Travel Package. The custom Pelican case fits

    everything well, has wheels and a slide out handle, which is very

    nice, as it weighs about 60lbs complete. This is not a carry-on

    housing, but it has many advantages over ones that are.

  2. Thanks Dan...

     

    Nice review. Have great fun with it. The camera kicks butt..

  3. I appreciate that Mike, and you're right that the FX1/Z1 kicks butt. It is an outstanding camera worthy of an expensive housing. Been shooting FX1 in an Aqua Video housing since around Feb. or March, and have been quite impressed with the camera's capabilities. Now my video will drastically improve with the new housing. The Aqua Video is a decent housing, but it has it's limitations.

  4. Dan

    I saw that housing at DEMA and someone had one of the boats I was on. It was very nice. Their UWA won't be out for awhile from what I overheard(and witnessed) at DEMA. :)

    As you say it is very well balanced and handles nicely. The top LCD display is nice and I hope they follow Amphibico by making a prism so you can view it from behind the housing.

    It is unfortunate cameras and housings are getting bigger and heavier as airlines are getting more strict about weight in the US. Enjoy the housing and please do a follow up with an update of the housing in the sea.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.