Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

cleaning L&M UWA 100 lens

Started by sharky1961 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

cleaning L&M UWA 100 lens

5 posts
  1. hi,

     

    I just chequed my light&motion UWA 100 (100°) lens on land and there were some foggy areas when I chequed the recording on my TV.

    I tried to clean the lens just with my breath and then using my t-shirt but that does't help.

    Can I clean the lens without destroying the multicoated layer? and if so do you use just a normal lenscleaner?

     

     

    Rob

  2. Rob,

     

    LMI lenses can sometimes fog on the inside of the lens (between the glass). this happened to my 80 degree lens. What happens is the lens is still moist when you put it in the case and fly for example. the pressure change draws some moisture in through the gasket and into the lens. I suppose this could happen without flying as well. I sent mine back to LMI and they fixed the issue in a week. Be careful with the multicoat layer. It is quite durable but can be damamged. if a gentle rub does not remove the fogging, it is probably internal to the lens.

     

    Shawn

  3. Does it do that at all zoom settings? Some lenses can't be zoomed through and fog when you do.

  4. hi Lars,

     

    the fogging get worse when zooming in.

     

    Rob

  5. Rob

    Your UWA100 is vacuum sealed, so if there is moisture inside the lens then it should be repaired because water will make its way in sooner or later.

    Are you sure it's not the camera lens that is foggy? You'll have to describe the problem with more detail. Does the fogging occur during a dive or just as you enter the water? Also make sure the inside(camera side) of the lens is clean. The tough coating is on the outside of the lens only. I believe there may be an antireflective coating as well. Which UWA100 is it? What year?

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.