Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

ID?

Started by SkroOob ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

ID?

9 posts
  1. I found this little fella in a sandy area in the Arabian Gulf. I tried to look for an ID in the web and the closest thing was a crocodile fish. I asked a local fisherman about it and he said that the locals here call it OHARAH in Arabic and they say it is poisonous.

     

    Could you guys give me an accurate ID on this one?

    post-3639-1136287760_thumb.jpg

  2. Do you have a color photo?

     

    Luiz

  3. Sure.

     

    Thre ya go. If you cosider cyan a color :) .

    post-3639-1136328428_thumb.jpg

  4. Now I see why you posted in B&W in the first place! :) Anyways, the fish is probably a Broadhead flathead (Eurycephalus arenicola), or some other flathead (family Platycephalidae, the same family of the crocodile fish, so you were not far off). Yes, I also hate its common name. FIY, the real crocodilefish has a longer snout and looks a lot more like a crocodile.

     

    Luiz

    Edited by Rocha
  5. hmmmmm. Interesting.

     

    Thank you Doc.

  6. Looks to me more like some type of Lizard Fish, very common in both the Caribbean and Pacific, but he is covered with sand.

     

    Doug

  7. Not a lizard fish. The lower jaw is much too protruding to be a lizard fish.

  8. I had a look into the link which Rocha gave me, and the closest fish I that I saw was the Bartail Flathead (Platycephalus indicus).

     

    What do you think? Am I right?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.