Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

S2 PRO-wide angle query

Started by BIKO ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

S2 PRO-wide angle query

7 posts
  1. Hello everybody,

    I decided to upgrade my previous setup (Sony 707+Ikelite Housing+

    Ds-125 strobe) to the S2 PRO.

    Since I'm a bit traumatized by my wide angle performances of my Sony (38

    humble mm"), I hope that my future setup will let me have decent wide angle shots.

     

    My query is: what is the wider, high quality lens that the Ikelite S2 housing\port supports? I was disappointed to realize from the previous posts that the Sigma 15-30 zoom lens is too wide for any Ikelite dome port...and generally, what are your favourite lenses for this setup.

     

    thank's in advance

  2. Hi BIKO,

     

    Cool! Do you have your setup yet, or did you just decide to upgrade?

     

    The lenses that I believe are compatible with the Ike housing and ports are:

     

    Sigma 14mm EX (Dunno, but Nikkor 14mm might work too)

    Nikkor 16mm Fisheye

    Sigma 15mm Fisheye

    Nikkor 18-35 ED

     

    You can apply the 1.5x crop factor to get a 35mm equivalent, but it will be hard to get the actual angle of view - especially for the full frame fisheye lenses.

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

  3. I've played with the Nikon 16mm fisheye and linearized it using PanoTools.

    It gets about 102 degrees (diagonal, after linearizing) compared to 90-92 for the 14mm. The image is ultimately stretched from 3:2 to about 1.7:1. The 16mm fisheye has much less front glass curvature so it should be more flare resistant. It also fits in a smaller dome and is cheaper. The downside is poorer resolution on the outer edges. The advice on the internet on how to use PanoTools with the 16mm fisheye is only good if you don't mind discarding a lot of your field of view. I rolled my own settings. I don't know how the dome port will effect the results.

     

    I've had the Sigma, Tamron, and Nikon 14mm lenses. They are all similar and I'd suspect they would all work with the same dome. The Nikon takes the Sigma lens cover even.

  4. Thank's for your response James,

     

    I'm going to order the S2 next week and check compatibility of some of the wide angle lenses that you mentioned before (mostly the Sigma's, Nikor are to expensive) with the camera and the ports and look for a macro lens, probably the Nikor 60 mm".

     

     

     

    One more question: How does the DS-125 function with the S2?

    Is it with a sync cord (wich I already have), or is it an external sensor?

     

    Thank's again

  5. Hi Craig and thank you for your enlightening answer. It looks that there is to much to mess with the 16 mm" fisheye, so I think that I'll stay with the 14 mm" option. 21 "real" mm" is quite enough for me.

     

    Are those lenses permit proper light metering and auto focus with the S2?

     

    Thank you in advance.

  6. Yes, all of those lenses permit proper metering and full functionality w/ the S2.

     

    The S2 and DS 125 work well together with a 5 pin sync cord. I use an Ikelite dual cord.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  7. Thank's James, I'll try those lenses after I get my camera.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.