Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

UW Digicam Shopping HOWTO

Started by Lee ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

UW Digicam Shopping HOWTO

6 posts
  1. With all the new digital cameras available, shopping for one is turning out to be more difficult that actually taking one!

     

    Hope underwater photographers can participate in this thread and help.

     

    First of all, I realize that in shopping for a digital camera for use underwater, the first thing I need to do is find an available housing. That being done, what else should I consider?

     

    What features are important? I don't know the term, but the delay time between pressing the shutter and the camera recording the image should be minimal or virtually non-existent, should that be my first main concern? Personally, I am want to have a 4 megapixel and/or above camera. What models would you recommend?

     

    There are digital SLRs, which are expensive... are there really much difference compared to the mid-range products?

     

    What else should I think about?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Hopefully, this thread will conclude with 2 or 3 ideal cameras for underwater photography.

  2. I guess the first concern would be your budget.. how much do you want to spend on the entire setup; to include housing, strobe(s), arms etc.. how serious do you want to get and what do you want to photograph?

     

    a "suitable" camera could be anything from 500 - 5000 :).. I hope you have a good relationship with the bank manager!

     

    hth

  3. First of all, I realize that in shopping for a digital camera for use underwater, the first thing I need to do is find an available housing. That being done, what else should I consider?

     

    A great site for housing availability is Digideep Website

     

    I used to try an keep up availability myself before this site. It was way too hard.

     

    Considerations besides shutter lag times include, but not limted to: 1) battery consumption 2) macro capabilities (does it have a macro mode) 3) Full manual control 4) Media type (compact flash has larger card capacities) 5) zoom (3x is plenty, 10x can cause difficulty) 6) flash (does it allow attachment of a PC cord or have a hot shoe)

     

    Some of these aren't all that important for most people. Just advantages and conveniences. Number 3) is critical, but generally found on all 4mp cameras and above.

     

     

    There are digital SLRs, which are expensive... are there really much difference compared to the mid-range products?

     

    Yes and no. It's a long discourse. Some of us already own SLRs and have investments in lenses. We shoot a lot and print big. We are good at rationalizing the need for a d-SLR. We are used to shooting an SLR underwater, the shutter lag of consumer cameras drive us nuts. We are used to lugging a big-ass housing around. We shoot topside as much or more than underwater. We have to have THE best. We have $4-6,000 to spend and still afford to dive.

     

    If this doesn't describe you, then it's not worth it.

     

     

    What models would you recommend?

     

    I've seen good results from many cameras. I just outfitted someone for a Nikon CP5000 in an Aquatica housing, an Ikelite DS125 with smart charger and TLC arm set. The whole system, including the camera cost around $3000. I consider this the best setup out there. The camera has great macro capability, can use a strobe in TTL mode via synch cord. The housing is fantastic.

     

    I've seen great results from shooters with a $500-$600 Olympus camera, a plastic $250 PT housing, tray, cheap strobe are and a strobe with a slave function or fiber cable. All this for around $2000.

     

    You can go even cheaper, even under $1000, but then you start losing something in the equation. It depends on what you want out of a sytem. It's a personal choice.

     

    For camera reviews look at these two websites:

     

    DP Review

    Imaging Resource

     

    And finally, more important than the make and model of camera is:

     

    1) Knowing how to use it

    2) Knowing how compose images

    3) Dive skills

  4. Something that can get overlooked - with digicams, you are not buying a dedicated u/w camera. Make sure you buy a camera that suits your on-land needs as well. Much easier to justify when you get more use out of it than only when you are diving. The Nikon CP5000 is a pretty nice camera and there are several housing choices. I believe there is a rebate of $100 until Dec 31. You can get them online for about $700. Nikon offers quality add-on lenses for this camera. The wide angle lense will work both u/w and on land and you will not have to buy any u/w lenses.

     

    You really only have to justify the housing and strobe - just my 2 cents.

  5. I think my list is now down to the Nikon Coolpix 5700 and Sony DSC-F717. Housing is available from Ikelite. Hope some of you have used any one of two of the cameras I mentioned. Any feedbacks?

  6. See comments on Ike's website on 707 and 5700. The 5000 is a better choice for UW than either of thoses due to it's inherent wide angle advantages. :ph34r:

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.