Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Shrimp IDs?

Started by segal3 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Shrimp IDs?

2 posts
  1. I know...it never ends <_ src="https://waterpixels.net/wparchive/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:">

     

    _MG_5770_16.jpg

     

    ^--Looks similar to Periclimenes tenuipes, but everything doesn't match up (not as transparent, and no lines connecting eyes). The chelipeds are orange-tipped as they are in P. tenuipes however...

     

    _MG_5796_16.jpg

     

    ^--Similar to Urocaridella antonbruunii but eye color is wrong, and banding is different...

     

    _MG_4788_04.jpg

     

    ^--Resembles Xenocarcinus conicus but has a longer rostrum (or so it seems)...

     

    _MG_6254_23.jpg

     

    ^--Similar to Periclimenes amboinensis but the patterning is off.

     

    Good luck :)

     

    I really need a more dedicated book for these IDs...

     

    ~Matt Segal

  2. Hi Matt -

     

    I love doing ids. If you get more books there'll be less for me to do.... :rolleyes:

     

    There are several Periclimenes that are similar to P. tenuipes. The closest I can find to your image is P. platycheles. Probably need a specimen to be certain. The second shrimpy is Urocaridella sp. A, still undescribed but common & well known. The crab isn't Xenocarcinus at all. It's a majid decorator crab with a bifid rostrum, perhaps in the genus Naxioides (N. taurus is common) or Hyastenus (H. bispinosus is common). Your fourth one I think is Araiopontonia odontorhyncha rather than any of the Periclimenes-crinoid commensal species. They're a problem anyway. I know some of the books say amboinensis, cornuta, & commensalis can be distinguished by length of the fingers or other characters but I was told by Sammy deGrave, one of the top shrimp experts, that this isn't true - at least not for images. He won't accept any image-based id for these species. Also, there are shrimp in several other genera like Parapontonia that live on crinoids & look very similar. Is it any wonder I keep telling people to collect specimens if they want accurate ids? (Bet you're tired of hearing that by now! :) )

     

    Nice pics, by the way - especially the first.

    Edited by Leslie

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.