Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Drysuit Help

Started by MDB ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Drysuit Help

10 posts
  1. I have finally decided to buy a drysuit (so I can actually get in the water and take some shots). I am trying to decide between DUI and Whites (nylon shell suits). Any opinions?

     

     

    Thanks

    Mike

  2. Buy the DUI - there isn't any comparison when it comes to service. I've owned both DUI and Whites suits, and the Whites customer service is terrible. If you sent a suit in to them for any reason (leak test, zipper replacement, etc) you'll be lucky to see the suit in 8weeks. DUI has an extremely fast turnaround, and I've been more impressed with their build quality (not to mention that the zip seals are awesome - that's almost reason enough to choose them). If you're looking for an alternative to DUI, Andy's makes great suits at a reasonable price, but I think the benefits of the DUI suit outweigh the Andy's.

  3. I don't know Whites but DUI are excellent. I bought one two years ago to replace my aging Polar Bear and have been delighted with it. It is very comfortable, easy to get in and out of - and, even better, keeps me dry. As Brian says, DUI service is very good.

  4. The DUI story as told by Brian above is spot on. I have 4 dry suits and the dui is the best of them all.my list is nokia-viking-ameron -DUI- Mine is the 2000cf material and its very tough. Whites service takes forever to redo seals-but thier biggest woes are how the seals are attached. I do all my own seal replacements except on whites as they sew the seals on which only they can do-why they choose this route who knows. Back in the day whites had great valves and was one of the best suits. get the DUI and be happy. Mark

  5. You may also like to think about the thermal layer as well. Not sure where you dive, but for winter diving here in the UK I use Fourth Element Artic, keeps me very toasty in 4 deg.C. The added advantage is that it is neutrally buoyant and therefore you need minimal lead. Gloves and hood are just basic 3mm neoprene, I prefer the flexibility they offer, you will get cold what ever thickness, the thicker neoprene just delays it a bit.

  6. The Thermal layer is just as important. I've tried many. My best is made in Oregon it's USIA . They make several types.I have the 2 piece with a thinsulate material in it. Super warm. The bottoms are overall style. The top is a jacket. Most shops can order them for you.. Mark

  7. Was using a very thin (travel) drysuit yesterday - a Typhoon Nexus - with Fourth Element Extreme top and a Weasel Undersuit - both are excellent and whilst I couldn't say I was toastie in 7 degrees freshwater, this is more to do with not having quite enough lead rasther than the undersuits (my fault following kit reconfiguration before a trip) - I'd strongly recommend both. If you buy a two piece Weasel, the top makes a very comfy surface jacket too.

  8. DUI is expensive but you get what you pay for in this case.

     

    I am asuming a whites suit would be 1/2 price the DUI?

     

    Depends on where you dive, how deep.

  9. Anyone have experience with the 30/30 Latitude? Can you get away with adding thermal layers and dive it in 60 degree water? I'd like to be able to get in local quarry to tune up in spring before using it in Caribbean.

  10. any helpn where you get dui suits in losangeles

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.