Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

satellite radio

Started by herbko ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

satellite radio

6 posts
  1. I'm looking to get a satellite radio service mostly for use in my car. Anybody have opinons on the pros and cons of XM vs Sirius?

     

    I hope this won't turn into Nikon vs Canon or Mac vs PC. :P

  2. Just make sure it has great Dynamic Range :P:D

     

    Karl

  3. We chose Sirius for one reason: no commercials. If I'm paying for signal, I sure don't want to have to listen to commercials.

     

    The antenna is a bit more intrusive than XM, though. For a while XM had smaller tuners, but now they are pretty much the same.

     

    My car has a Kenwood tuner that has the decoder built-in; my wife has the external tuner attached to an AUX-IN on her Touareg.

     

    All the best, James

  4. I've had XM for over a year now and love it. I have the My-Fi Radio and use it at home, work, in the car and on walks and bike rides. I record 5 hours worth of music automatically each evening and listed to that when it's attached to me, as the personal antenna does not work particularly well when mobile. At this time, you can't go wrong with either Sirius or XM, just pick the radio that works best for you and the provider with the stations you'll most listen to.

    Edited by UWPhotoTech
  5. The main tradeoff seems to be NFL and Howard Stern (Sirius) vs MLB (XM -- they have their own talk shows too but I don't know what they are). The music channels are really similar and the news/weather channels too. Sirius has better NPR coverage if you like that. XM has a bay area only traffic/weather station where Sirius lumps in the bay area with Seattle (I'm pretty sure you're from here, right?). You can sign up for a week of free online listening with both and try them out if you want. I got XM because I like listening to baseball sometimes.

     

    One more thing: they both have awful sound quality so if you're picky about that prepare to be disappointed. It sounds like 64-bit MP3 to me.

     

    Lanier

  6. Thanks for the inputs. I'll try them out online.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.