Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

ScubaMAP.net – Google Maps Mashup/Wiki

Started by ilusion ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

ScubaMAP.net – Google Maps Mashup/Wiki

7 posts
  1. A couple months ago I decided to build a website for divers to be able to share their favorite underwater sites. I knew I wanted to build it on top of Google Maps (since it makes use of satellite imagery) and I wanted it to be a wiki (so anyone could start contributing content right away). I got a bit carried away, and ended up adding features like the ability to link to image/video galleries or dive operators and rate each dive site. It also has a search mechanism so you can do things like ask it to show you all the dive sites that have the keyword shark, are in a particular country and can be accessed from the shore; or just show me all the ice dives with good wide angle photography.

     

    This is a wonderful community here at WetPixel and I very much had you folks in mind when I was building it. So I’d encourage everyone to check it out, add you favorites sites, and existing entries with any missing info.

    ScubaMap.Net

    http://www.scubamap.net

     

    ilusion

    post-3136-1138167470_thumb.jpg

  2. Great Idea!

    Hope its will grow soon so it's will be a great source (I'll try to add some data later at home)

    One suggestion, one of the things that interest me most when I'm searching for a destination is data about the year's sessions/date conditions for diving there, Its seems like very needed rubrics to add.

  3. Hi, very nice idea. One minor issue. In firefox on apple i cant see the row of buttons just above the image. I can see something there, but not what the buttons actually say. The images is projected over those buttons. Could be a general firefox problem,

     

    Cor

  4. Thank you both for replying. I can see that a number of sites have already been added. The best time to go to the site is a great idea. I’ll definitely look into adding it. I have so many other ideas of things to add, but I figured it was best to just launch it and see what folks thought.

     

    As for the Firefox problem on the Mac, would you mind telling me what version of the browser you are using? I use Firefox 1.5 as my main browser on my Windwos system, and it looks fine, but I’ll definitely try to correct any mac problems. Do you by any chance have Safari and if so, does it look okay there?

  5. The page renders OK for me in Firefox 1.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.4

    In Safari, I don't get the whole map page, a part of it displays and the markers show over white. See attached thumbnail...

    post-872-1138201112_thumb.jpg

  6. Interesting, thanks for posting the screenshot. I will try to get a hold of a Mac to fix this issue.

  7. Arnon Ayal, I just wanted to let you know that I added best time to visit fields, as you requested. As for the folks that were having Mac rendering problems, I got a hold of a G4 and found problems on both Safari and Firefox. I made some modifications so it now appears to work for both of the browsers on that OS. Internet Explorer on the Mac is not supported by Google Maps so there’s not much I can do about that one.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.