Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Don't know what to buy?

Started by d.a.v.e ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Don't know what to buy?

6 posts
  1. Here is my story... I am a full time photographer (land). I've been to HI and a few islands several times now and have been frustraited not being able to really take any underwater pictures. We have decided to go back this year and I really want to spend a few days messing around with this. I don't see this as something I will use more then once or twice a year. So far my only experence (with a dslr camera underwater) has been with the underwater bag things & a swimming pool & a light up top, this gets me some neat shots that sell well at swim meets.

     

    Anyway I would not mind setting aside a budget of around $1500 to try this endevor. I shoot nikon so I have lots of Nikon lenes & dslr bodys (d1x/h & d2x/h). Ideally I would not like to have to buy any new lens/body combo. I would perfer to put my money towards lights and a housing unit. What should I be looking for? Can I come up with anything for this budget (I don't mind buying used)?

  2. I don't want to scare you off, but this seems like a rather tight budget for housing a DSLR, even 2nd hand, let alone getting strobes for it.

     

    You may be able to find a housing and ports for this price, but not for the cameras you already own. You'd probably be looking at getting a D100 housing and ports with this budget. There are a couple on sale on eBay at the moment.

     

    As for the strobes, you could look at housing your land strobes to keep the budget down. Wetpixel member DonSilcock is currently parting with his housing for the SB80DX in the classified section.

     

    Good luck,

    Mat

  3. So how much do I need to spend on a housing? What are considered solid brands that I might be able to get most of my money back out of if I want to sell them after the trip? If need be I would be willing to get a d70 or something I guess if the housing is any cheaper?

     

    Are those enclosures good enough or would I be better off with a dedicated underwater light?

  4. Ikelite housings sell for about $1200 online. I'm a big fan of the housings I like being able to see everything inside the housing.

     

    You can get some poor guys SLR Ikelight housing with ports and strobes for about $300 on ebay. I don't know you would do with the SLR housing, I'm thinking book-end for mine.

  5. Hi Dave,

     

    For having bought and sold 2nd underwater imaging equipment, I think that the concept of trying to get back most of your investment when you sell it is a view of the mind :)

     

    For your budget, I'd try to get a second hand D100 or D70 body, along with an Ikelite housing, either on ebay or by advertising in the Classified section of wetpixel.

     

    Alternatively, you could look into getting a new prosumer camera and housing (say something from Olympus or Canon), along with strobe and add-on lens, but considering your background with pro model SLRs, I think you'll hate the shutter lag and other misgivings of compact cameras.

     

    Cheers,

    Mat

  6. hmmm, I think would perfer digital but it sounds like film might be a better option for my budget? Should I look for a f100 housing (I still have one) or would I be better off getting a Nikonos V or something off ebay for $300 + a strobe?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.